Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    As for the whole gifted adult thing. I'd say Dh and myself are doing pretty well. Our field is pretty gifted stacked (actually, I don't know anybody in it who was not at least MG growing up). Almost all our friends are from work, which is great because I can talk to them about DD. Unfortunately, our field is highly competitive and most people don't have kids, so it also means they rarely have advice.

DH is pretty much 110% focused on work whereas I'm always off in the boonies. I kind of flirt with different interests over time to keep my mind occupied. Because my interests are so diverse I kept having to stop myself from quitting and going back to school to get a second PhD. I know I'd love it but I do need to bring home a paycheck at some point, right? For instance, right now I'm big on the whole child development reseach while also reading those Percy Jackson books during DD's naps. blush During my pregnancy, I was convinced I was going to go to med school and become an OB/GYN. Sometimes I think my life would be MUCH easier if I didn't have so many interests!!

From HS on I've never had problems making friend but then again I have friends for a lot of different activities. I'd have sport friends, music friends etc. I also was lucky enough to be in a great HS that had tons of options for gifted students (lots, and lots of AP classes, ability grouping, grade acceleration, dual enrollment, etc.) so I was able to have intellectual peers as friends too.

DH is the same way with friends. He's VERY extroverted and has quite a bit in common with Kirk. Ironically, he's a huge Spock fan! Speaking of which, what did you guys think of the newest movie?

Originally Posted by newmom21C
    He's VERY extroverted and has quite a bit in common with Kirk. Ironically, he's a huge Spock fan! Speaking of which, what did you guys think of the newest movie?

I'm a Spock fan, too. I really liked the new Star Trek movie... it was fun to imagine the pasts of favorite characters. I enjoyed the jokes and references to the original series, too.

I call the new Spock "Emo Spock."

I liked the movie very much, but I liked it in spite of the radical changes to Spock's character. I do think it threw off the balance that is the key to the original Star Trek series: Spock is extreme logic, Bones is extreme emotion and they're in a world with extreme technology. Kirk is the humanity, the balance point where all that comes together to work well.

Make Spock all emotional and the balance is thrown off. I predict it will become problematic in future movies unless they manage to rein in Emo Spock's emo!

wink

Kriston
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I wanted to consider that perhaps gifted adults, or as Stephanie Toland put it "Gifted Ex-Children," are an underserved population. Here's a link to the article.

http://www.stephanietolan.com/gifted_ex-child.htm

I have found that my oversensitivities has dulled down considerably through the years. I also have found Parenting as I very balancing activity - although I suspect any intense form of service would do.

What do you Gifted Ex-Children find to be useful ways to help yourself to be healthy?

Smiles and Love,
    Trinity
    Such a very amazing link!
    Thanks you for the post.

R
    R
    Thank you for posting this article, Grinity. I found it very comforting. Tolan forced me, once again, to really consider both the path of my childhood trajectory (over which I had little control), and my adult choices.

In my case, I have found that although I have developed a thriving social persona and consequent network in which I play to the mean (deviants of any kind, even standard deviants, are little tolerated in most social spheres), I cannot play the role internally for any length of time. Thus, it is imperative that I spend at least part of my "Roni Time" gluttonously indulging in my personal areas of expressionistic freedom.

I am quite linguistic and aural by nature, and if I don't spend an hour or two writing, reading great lit, or dissecting the exact placement of a particular vocal riff in a musical genre study, I find myself becoming listless and morose; I will be frozen by a tragedy I see in the news or will feel numerous chastisements well up from within about not tending to some or other distant relationship within my social circle.

I suppose pursuing my areas of giftedness (which manifested themselves early and were encouraged as private, familial pursuits and which my parents believed were not to be confused with the import of social conformity forced upon me by public education) acts an emotional release from the sensitivities to which I still am prone.

It may be because by studying and creating these things I find so lovely and fascinating, I am bringing beauty into the world. Such an effort, small though it may be, buffers and comforts me against the colder realities of humanity and our experiences. Beauty is a balm, a remedy, a joy. It is both a great relief and release.

Thanks for asking!

Last edited by Roni; 02/06/10 02:33 PM.
    Mr W's situation has led us to read quite a bit about GT.

It has has helped us to behold ourselves.

This has been a most unexpected result of having him in our lives.

J
    J
    Excellent thread. Thanks for the links. So true.

It is with this new information that one can put on new lens and review one's past with a new look. A new framework.

And everything that one can now see, it is a new light. Very revealing. It explains so much. Explains almost everything.

As Austin said "It has helped us to behold ourselves"

P
    P
    I like this topic....I along with my daughter's father have felt somewhat secluded for awhile. I am the creative genius and he would be the mathematical one. We level each other out. But we never seem to get anywhere. People just don't understand. When I go in for a job interview I feel trapped in my own thoughts. It is hard for me to play the happy game; to act like I am thrilled about having another unchallenging job. But my job history is lacking. I have worked since I was 14 and I find it difficult to stay in a place where I do not have the opportunity for advancement. I remember being told in high school that I needed to settle on one major goal in life. My teacher thought I spent too much time switching what I love to do....and she was a gifted teacher. I have had to settle back into college again. I like getting out of the house but I really don't look forward to anything I do at school. When I put a lot of effort into something I end up getting that look from the rest of the class...."What? Is she trying to make us look bad?" Little do they know I did the assignment in a matter of a couple hours. It is somewhat disheartening to be back in school. I have that same feeling from before.......I don't have to try. But after years and years I have decided to settle on one major goal. I am going to get a degree in education. I want to help change the way the gifted are tested, taught, and help the gifted to find a place in society. Could we even imagine a world where all the gifted were given the chance to be recognized; given the chance to grow without being clipped? I know for a fact that while the gifted can be a little cocky, we are also some of the most compassionate thinkers. I guess what helps me make it through each week is the thought of being able to use my "giftedness" to help gifted children and adults.......I also like to read, write, draw, and paint.:)

A
    A
    go for it, paynted

I do want to stress that education schools are vocational schools and the chances that you will get to have fun intellectually in those classes is slim.

MAE Offline
    Let us know where you end up paynted!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM