Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    This is totally off topic but I was just wondering...

What do you wonder about other people, about strangers that you see on the street?

I always wonder what they do all day long...what they do for a living. I also wonder what book they are currently reading at home. I don't know why those 2 things interest me, but i guess if i knew what everyone did for a living and whatbook they were reading, I would know a lot about them.

Do you ever wonder things about people? I am a huge "people watcher" so maybe this is just a weird me thing I don't know!

My DH and DD are both people watchers. This is not a skill I have, but I admire it.

I
    I
    I've always loved to sit and "people watch" in airports. Long layovers were never a problem for me. I try to figure out whether they're flying to meet loved ones or have just left.

Oh I make up whole life stories... LOL I don't remember which one, but one of the Agatha Christie stories (probably a Poirot) had a character who was a mystery writer, who said the worst thing in the world was to know too much about a person because then that story you'd made up about ~why~ they were on the bus at such an odd time of day carrying that enormous bag and with their hair a mess but looking so pleased with themselves, would just get shot full of holes. (I'm paraphrasing of cousre... When she wrote it, it sounded more proper and English... LOL)

I guess if I had to narrow it down, I'd say I always wonder who they were last talking to, and where they're going. But I can usually make up a convincing answer. wink

Erica
    OP Offline
    hahaha I was going to tell you all that I make up stories about them, but in my mind it just sounded too weird! I totally make up stories about their lives and what they are doing at that particular moment! So glad there are others like me lol!

Oh, yes! Story weaving while people watching is a great way to pass the time! smile

Be warned: it can lead to novel writing, which is not terribly productive...

Kriston
    LOL!

I used to be a big people watcher when I was younger. I must be to far up in my own head lately, it seems I don't even notice people operating around me unless they are people I know........

LOL Kriston!!

Erica
    Originally Posted by inky
    I've always loved to sit and "people watch" in airports. Long layovers were never a problem for me. I try to figure out whether they're flying to meet loved ones or have just left.

This is me too! I love airports. Well, I did - the people watching was more fun when I didn't have to chase a bored child around.

acs Offline
    I always wonder what secret pain people are covering up. People do such a good job putting a mask over their hurts that often we have no idea what people have been through.

I was getting a big copy job done a few weeks ago and the woman who was helping me wasn't being very helpful. Since it was a big job, we spent a long time together and gradually I got her to warm up to me. It turned out a friend had died that morning but she had had to come into work anyway. Once I knew that I could see that she was genuinely trying to be professional but just didn't have the energy to be there that day. By the time we left, we were "friends" and I gave her a big hug. It was very rewarding to connect with her.

I mostly try to respect people's privacy and no pry into their secrets, but in this case it came naturally and I think it helped her. But I still, even when I don't know what it going on, try to think about how many different hardships ordinary people go through.

As Will Rogers said, "I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM