Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    M
    M
    good stuff.

The allergy meds have been another crap shoot. It seems that his sensitivities change from year to year. Plus, he just got off wheat and dairy due to being allergic; so it's like starting new again with a "clean" body.

F
    F
    My ds's asthma has gotten a lot better over the years. He hasn't gotten one asthma attack for the past 2 years. He has also started swimming lessons through last winter. I really think swimming helps with his asthma.

Inhaled medications have a lot less side effect than oral ones because inhaled meds deliver straight into the lungs whereas oral steroids absorb into the blood (a systemic effect) then works wherever it's supposed to work. However, there are side effects associate with inhaled meds because drugs can cross the lungs/blood barriers into the blood stream to cause systemic effects. SE is definitely less with inhaled medications.

Cindi
    Hi - my DS5 has allergy-induced asthma, which is under control since he takes daily zyrtec at the highest dose recommended by the ped allergist. No side effects with the zyrtec, and once we switched to the higher dose, no asthma symptoms either (except once when we were at a house with cats too long). We did the steroid thing a couple years ago, and i can't remember the symptoms, but we didn't like it and were glad when albuterol inhaler was all that was needed.

I also have allergy-induced asthma, which is completely under control as long as I control the allergies with an antihistimine.

Good luck!

P.S. DS5 also has a dairy allergy, but we've had no incidents with it since he was 1. The zyrtec probably helps provide some protection against that too, in case of accidental exposure.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 03/31/09 02:58 PM. Reason: added ps
    M
    M
    Thanks. Neither of us can take Zyrtec. Honestly, if I hadn't tried it the first time my DS tried it, I may not have known how he was feeling. We had the same anxious reaction. We both wanted to scream; well, he did. That's why he is so difficult to medicate. He has reactions like I do, unfortunately. I have tried homeopathic allergy meds for him as well, to no avail. He'll take Children's Benadryl, but it makes him very tired. I probably need to re-visit some past trials now that his body chemistry is free of food allergans.

T
    T
    Hi Cindi,
    Yeah oral steroid last resort but my pediatrician prescribed it way too much!
    We do use nasonex, although a lot of times I forget to use it, like today!
    How is Allegra?

T
    T
    You are lucky you grew out of it! Hope your DS will too.
    I guess the triggers differ for everybody.
    I just wish someone told me earlier that cold could be a trigger. I didn't make the connection everytime I gave my DS ice he would wheeze. Finally an allergist told us.
    You are lucky running doesn't affect your DS.
    I am not sure if it is simply the running for my DS or the running when it is cool out. He was fine last summer in the heat.

Last edited by traceyqns; 04/01/09 08:29 AM.
    I
    I
    Not sure on the asthma - but I know DS6 allergies will kick in VA in the next 2-3 weeks. I think it was last year the school asked if he was on Zyrtec - they'd sent several kids home for hyper behavior and automatically assumed DS6 hyperness that week was due to medication. We mostly use Benydryl for kids - or chewables - and the pediatrician said to use just plain SALINE spray up their nose to clear it out. If that works - its effective and a lot less "side effect" ridden than some of the other stuff. I've tried Allegra myself and gotten totally hyper and unable to sleep after just one dosage.

That said - when DS6 rubbed pollen in his eyes last April and then grit - his eyes were as big and swoleen as golf balls at one point - but an ice pack and a good night's sleep - he was all better. We had literally just been to the eye doctor that week and spent 2 nights n the ER with his dad - so I was No way going back to the doctor again!!

Good luck with the asthma. I'll post again if I find out more on that.

M
    M
    Oh, his breathing is effected by running, I just meant that he would probably run until he had no breath left.:) He won't stop unless we stop him. Goofy kid. Our OT suggested that I look online for some homeopathic remedies to see what's out there. We have plenty of stores around here like that as well. It's just another thing to re-visit. Everyone has been grat help. A lot of it is info I already knew, but needed to be reminded. I feel like my brain is in overload lately with trying to find a new school, his allergies and his coming off the steroids; and I can't think straight. So thank you!

T
    T
    WOW stay away from that pollen!! Geez eyes size of golf balls!! My DH would have freaked out! He alwasy over reacts!

T
    T
    OH I SEE! Well being your DS is very young almost 4 when he is a bit older he will most likely stop running or stop playing when he is wheezing. I think 5ish my DS who is 6 now stops. I can tell something is wrong when he sits on the bench or sits on the sidelines. As your DS gets older I am sure he will stop getting to that point though is rough.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM