Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Mom0405 #43244 03/30/09 10:00 PM
    F
    F
    Is he taking oral steroid? Or are you using a nebulizer or inhaled? I assume he also has something like Albuterol to go with the steroid?

Steroids all have that kind of side effects. Some kids may experience more side effect than others. There are ways to reduce steroid dose, but it's impossible to eliminate it .

There is a new group of drugs called Leukotriene Receptor Antagonist. One of the brand names is called Singulair (oral). This is in addition to, but not to replace steroid. However, you might be able to use less steroid with this on board.

Since he is so young, there are drugs that are not approved for 4 and younger. However, some doctors are willing to prescribe drugs that are approved for 5 and up in special cases. There is one called Serevent(inhaler), which is like a long acting alberterol. Again, this is in addition to steroid, hoping to reduce steroid dose. There is another group called Mast Cell Stabilizer. One of the brand name in this group is called Cromolyn. It is approved for 4 yo and under but not a first line treatment for asthma.

Please keep in mind these are all just suggestions. From what I know there is almost no way to eliminate steroid.

Cindi
    E
    E
    bump

I changed the subject. I hope you get some good replies. It is awful when your kids are hurting.

EW

I am apologetically hi-jacking a thread from 2008 because I would like to know which asthma meds have less side effects, and what effects you have seen. It is full blown pollen season here in GA right now, and my DS-almost4 is a mess.

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Hi Mom0405, my DS4 was recently on a 3 week oral steroid course and during those three weeks his behaviour really changed! He is usually rather quiet and reserved and his teacher described him as very "talkative" and "bouncy" during this time! His steroid (which he had with another medicine) was to treat a stomach problem as he was struggling to absorb his food. I am not sure what steroids you have used, but in our experience they can have massive side effects (but in our case it was worth continuing and was only for a short period).

Also, asthma is something entirely different,and needs to be taken very seriously. Is your family doctor helpful, if so it might be worth going back to them and reviewing all your options?

Sorry I can't be more help.

XX

M
    M
    Thank you all. I wish that "bouncy and talkative" was the case:(...he has been so easy to upset, very tired, and extremely cranky, very prone to quick fits (moody). And we have an extremely peaceful household, except for when we are purposefully crazy and silly. So, it's just not him. We can get him to calm down fairly quickly, but a new teacher probably wouldn't be able to. Snuggling has helped a lot; but we are about to try a new school, and are afraid that they will think that he is psychotic or something on the steroid and kick him out. Poor thing. Our allergist gave us three options, of which we tried them all. Singulair (oral)-quick mood swings, like now; Flovent(inhaler)-current "psychosis"; Pulmicort(nebulizer)-diarrhea. I had not heard of the ones suggested by fangcyn. I have to have another sit down with his allergist, I guess. He didn't tell me about the others. We had a recent trip to the hospital because DS's little heart was beating out of his chest the last time we used the albuterol, and he was panting still after 6 hours and a nap. They thought he may have asperated something, but an urgent care and a hospital visit, with 6 x-rays (and 3am) later, his lungs were pronounced ok. The doc gave us Xopenex as his rescue inhaler instead of albuterol to see if it would make a difference; but I don't know at this point if it is a contributing factor to his moodiness or not. Is that possible? He has been taking a steroid for the last 6 days (not today); and I know that it stays in the system for a while. He hates feeling this way. But the pollen is so bad right now that it's effecting my asthma as well; and my system is tough.

If any one has any descriptions or suggestoins of what their kids have experienced on certain steroid meds, or just allergy meds it would really help. Thank you!

Mom0405 #43337 03/31/09 11:51 AM
    T
    T
    I was told by ER that oral steroids have tons of side effects and should only be used in an emergency!
    Our pediatrician prescribed it way way too much!
    MY DS6 is on singulair and then when he wheezes he uses alburterol. You know there is a higher rate of asthma among mensans! This is interesting. And a new study linked a lot of tv/computer as toddlers to having a higher rate of asthma. I bet more mensans or highter IQ persons do more non physical activies and hence their lungs are not as strong. Just interesting. I heard swimming can help strengthen the lungs.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Interesting. DS4 has asthma, thankfully it has been much better lately. He has only had like 2-3 attacks per year (spring, late spring and fall). It was recommended that we use pulmicort through the nebulizer, but I swear he had behavior outbursts on this, so we switched it to flovent. He took it a few weeks ago for about 2 weeks and he was a more emotional that usual, but it seemed better than the pulmicort and it helped his asthma. The goal of using these it to avoid having to use prednisone (oral steroid). So although doctors tell us to keep using it for months at a time, we start giving him his flovent as soon as he starts to cough, we give it to him 2x daily until about a week after the coughing stops. If it starts back up, we will start the flovent up...but we haven't had to. Usually he will be good for several months and symptom free. We have told our doctors this and they said if it works then keep it up. He has seasonal allergies as well and have found nothing that really helps. They aren't severe though, and I don't feel like going through the test with all the pricks. I still remember how awful that was.

Sorry you are having such difficulty finding the right medicine. I don't think Flovent is perfect at all, but it has prevented prednisone which I feel is worse...and he doesn't have to take it forever so for now it is working.

And as for swimming strengthening lungs, I wish DS4 would do that. We just had to quit swimming lessons because he was SOOOO anxious about it it was pointless. Oh well, maybe next year.

T
    T
    The inhaled steroid pulmocort supposedly is fine it is the prednisone IS BAD!!!!!!!! The ER freaked us out, they said it causes diabetes and I forget what else. They said only an Emergency. One night my DS could not breath could not talk, ok so then he needed it but for mild, moderate wheezing they told us DON'T USE IT! Spring and Fall is bad for our DS6 also.
    I was just at the dr and he said Pumicort is like singulair both to help prevent asthma. Singulair is easy just one pill a day our allergist said 20 million people are on it and it is safe so we went with it. I think it is really the Prednisone that is bad. Oh the allergist told us one dose stays in the body for 1 year!

T
    T
    SOrry to hear about the swimming.
    We are going to try it this summer I hope!
    But any exercise it good to build the lungs.

M
    M
    We are constantly running, and live on 6 acres in the GA, so the seasonal allergies are worse here. He 'acts' ok running - meaning it doesn't bother him - but we have to stop him and make him take deep breaths and cough out the asthma related junk. Starting swimming again is a good idea, thanks. Unfortunately he is not very athletic, but does like to run and play chase and follow the leader (as long as he is the leader:).

Has your DS6 has any mood side effects on the Singulair, as far as you've noticed?

T
    T
    No side effects, our allergist said 20 million people are on it , he made us more comforable giving him something everyday.
    Can your DS tell you when he is wheezing?
    The dr just told is if DS is wheezing slightly do a treatment and it is safe to go out after 20 minutes.
    Oh and you prob already know anything that cools the airways is not good. So Ice cream, Ice, Slurpies! Those are a big trigger esp if it is cool outside.
    Oh and get that peak flow meter if you don't already have it. It will calm you down when you think your DS can't breathe, if he can do the peak flow and numbers are high you will relax.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM