Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    This post is created to link to a thread called Pros/Cons of Sending a Child to College Early (in the Parenting and Advocacy forum, May 2016), for the benefit of any future visitors who may look in this "College" forum to find that type of discussion.

Quick summary of this post, which provides a roundup of links:
    Whole-grade acceleration (also called grade-skipping) may result in a student attending college at a younger age... or not.
    Other options include planning ahead for a productive gap year.

Acceleration (grade skipping)
    Adding links to old threads discussing:
    - Radical acceleration down the road - any regrets? (Parenting and Advocacy forum, September 2014)
    - Considering grade skip (Parenting and Advocacy forum, May 2016)

Gap Year
    1) The Davidson Database offers a guidebook on planning a gap year.
    2) This article raises awareness of the types of experiences which a student may encounter when signing on to pre-established gap-year programs.

More Threads on Early College
    Adding links to other threads on early college:
    - Need direction for finishing HS early (Parenting and Advocacy forum, May 2016)
    - wow... All 7 siblings in college by age 12? (General Discussion forum, May 2014)
    - Article - MIT at age 14, now changing the world (Parenting and Advocacy forum, August 2014)
    - Early College and Radical Acceleration (Learning Environments, March 2012)
    - College at 16 [i](post regarding FERPA)[/i]
    - College at 16 [i](post with link to list of Early Colleges)[/i]

College Application
    Adding a link to an old thread discussing, Do you list DYS on a college application? (General Discussion forum, August 2012) for the benefit of parents who may may browse this college forum for that information.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    This post is created to link to a thread called Early College Entrance - radically early (in the Parenting and Advocacy forum), for the benefit of any future visitors who may look in this "College" forum to find that type of discussion.

This is to underscore the importance for parents to realize that once a child attends college, parental rights under FERPA end:
    Parents should understand that their rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a postsecondary school at any age. Students to whom the rights have transferred are "eligible students."

As for advice, my advice would be: Never play the age card. In other words, do not ask for special favors, support, attention, or consideration due to age. College is more than pure academic/intellectual pursuit. An amount of maturity which affords the ability to understand the system and work within it (essentially developing internal locus of control, and demonstrating positive self-advocacy) may be hallmarks of a college-ready student. A child may need practice to become adept at deflecting conversations from the topic of age, and/or redirecting the focus of conversations from age back to the topic at hand (in a nonchalant, ho-hum, matter-of-fact manner) if someone else should veer off-topic and probe about age. Others may be curious, and that is to be expected, however the twin goals may be to avoid becoming a spectacle, and to maintain composure.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    NOTE: Change in FERPA link
    1) The WayBack Machine (internet archive) is often useful when a website or webpage is NOT FOUND or has been changed and no longer contains the described content
    2) See https://web.archive.org/web/20170919025452/http://familypolicy.ed.gov/ferpa-parents-students
    3) See https://web.archive.org/web/20170929141339/https://studentprivacy.ed.gov/

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    This post is created to link to a thread called College Credit w/o Jeopardizing College Admissions (in the Learning Environments forum), for the benefit of any future visitors who may look in this "College" forum to find that type of discussion.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    This post is created to link to a thread called Texas boy, 12, preps for life at Cornell (in the General Discussion forum), for the benefit of any future visitors who may look in this "College" forum to find that type of discussion.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Adding a link to the thread options for 15 year old after high school (General Discussion forum), for the benefit of future readers who may look in this College forum for that type of information.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM