Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    A
    Agent99 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    So frustrated. Gah! We live in a small town and DS skipped 6th grade to middle school this fall - not an easy process as it had "never been done before." There was much handwringing over his social well being and fitting into middle school by the principal. It's very much 1950 out here and they are simply not equipped to deal with gifted students much less HG.

Dh and I weren't worried as DS is friendly and has never had an issue socially. We were far more concerned that he wouldn't be working at his level. After 2 quarters now, it's clear that despite a TAG "plan" he's not challenged.

Aside from a high school level algebra class - which isn't so much challenging as it's new information and a science class that's once again new information, he's bored. He has friends but none of them are at his academic level. But what do you do with a 12 year old?

Do we skip him ahead to where he needs to be, spending his day with older teenagers - yikes? Or just accept that he has to slog through the rest of this year and next until he hopefully joins his sister at a private prep school in a nearby city?

We can't afford tuition for a private middle school so I feel like we're stuck. I've fought and fought with this district to get services for both of our children and I'm running out of steam.

Any thoughts?

L
    lmp Offline
    L
    -

Last edited by lmp; 03/28/12 08:30 AM.
    I don't think he'd even be that far off in age, would he? When I was in 9th grade, I was 14. I had a friend who was 13, and most of the other kids seemed to be 15.

ETA: Actually, I am wrong. I was 13 in 9th. My friend was 12. I had to work backwards from how old we were when we graduated!

Last edited by epoh; 02/03/12 02:10 PM.

~amy
    A
    Agent99 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Great advice lmp. I think it's wonderful that your DD8 has friends who share her interests regardless of their ages. It can be so challenging for gifted kids to find their way.

In DS12's perfect world, he would be back at his elementary school with his other TAG friends - with his amazing teacher who would be moving them through high school curriculum by now.

Alas, after many years of threats the district was really going to close the school, the teacher moved to a different building and this little bubble of happiness became a charter. His friends stayed at the school hoping it would be the answer. It wasn't.

I know he misses the intellectual stimulation.

I'm certain the district will refuse to accelerate him another grade, but they may agree to let him take a few classes at the high school. Aside from being a small district, the education here is woefully behind the rest of Oregon. They just can't seem to wrap their heads around highly gifted kids.

We will need to have a conversation with DS but I don't think he'd want to be in school all day with the older kids. Socially he seems comfortable. He kept his academic level to himself until another student from his elementary mentioned he skipped 6th grade and was in high school algebra. Apparently he got a lot of comments but most of them were positive.

One kid often refers to DS as his favorite 6th grader. It cracks up DS as this kid is quite small and DS is almost 5' 7".

Last edited by Agent99; 02/03/12 02:28 PM.
    A
    Agent99 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Epoh: He'd be just 13. It's not the age as much as the environment. Until last year the h.s. really suffered under nonexistent leadership.

A new principal took over and things have improved but this is a sports town and that's all the matters to most of the staff and students. Not even 20 percent are college bound. Which is why DD goes to a private school 35 miles away.

I should've mentioned that homeschooling isn't an option as DS doesn't like being taught by his parents!

L
    lmp Offline
    L
    -

Last edited by lmp; 03/29/12 05:30 AM.
    A
    Agent99 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    DS is certainly capable academically and emotionally to skip a second grade. He has a September birthday and missed the cut off for Kindergarten by 10 days. We didn't pursue early entry as he is 2e due to a speech disability and it takes an act of God to change anything in this district. So this skip to 7th was just putting him with his almost peer group.

But I'd rather he subject accelerate - if they'll allow it. We just have to hang in there until he can go to the prep school. We're a quarter of the way there, LOL!

P
    P
    Does he have any space in his schedule for electives? Our ds12's school agreed to let ds pursue an independent study course in place of one of his electives, which gave us an option for putting more academic challenge into his schedule.

So that's one potential option for what to do until prep school!

polarbear

A
    Agent99 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    That's a wonderful idea Polar Bear. We will certainly pursue this route if they refuse to allow for the subject acceleration. DS has already taken this path in social studies as he is obsessed/fascinated with history and tested out of numerous units.

Unfortunately this meant he spent the class time in the library researching a paper. I'd prefer that he be engaged with some like minded students talking about the geo/political ramifications of wars, treaties, revolutions, etc.

Sadly his teacher these past two quarters doesn't believe in TAG, accelerated learning or critical thinking.

P
    P
    That's too bad about his teacher, Agent99. If he likes history are there any history clubs in your area? I'm thinking the kind of group that's made up of really old folk, not kids wink We have a few of those in our area, historical society etc. Not a substitute for an all-out actual class, but there might be lectures or a mentor around that could help feed his passion.

Back in school, there are some online courses that might offer some opportunities for online discussion - not exactly the same as having a group of like-minded peers irl to exchange ideas with, but it might be more fun than research in the library.

Good luck figuring it out!

polarbear

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM