So frustrated. Gah! We live in a small town and DS skipped 6th grade to middle school this fall - not an easy process as it had "never been done before." There was much handwringing over his social well being and fitting into middle school by the principal. It's very much 1950 out here and they are simply not equipped to deal with gifted students much less HG.

Dh and I weren't worried as DS is friendly and has never had an issue socially. We were far more concerned that he wouldn't be working at his level. After 2 quarters now, it's clear that despite a TAG "plan" he's not challenged.

Aside from a high school level algebra class - which isn't so much challenging as it's new information and a science class that's once again new information, he's bored. He has friends but none of them are at his academic level. But what do you do with a 12 year old?

Do we skip him ahead to where he needs to be, spending his day with older teenagers - yikes? Or just accept that he has to slog through the rest of this year and next until he hopefully joins his sister at a private prep school in a nearby city?

We can't afford tuition for a private middle school so I feel like we're stuck. I've fought and fought with this district to get services for both of our children and I'm running out of steam.

Any thoughts?