Re: Everyday Mathmatics

I have said this before - EM has worked for my DD and DS. I agree with Val that it has its faults, no question. However, as my kids have progressed through the curriculum, they have transitioned to algebraic concepts very easily, because EM introduces concepts and word problems early in the curriculum. DD has had no problem with Algebra 1 (we are doing at home/afterschooling)and is moving on to geometry. My observation is - the traditional algorithms we were taught work for many kids to a certain point (i.e. computation), but the jump to concept-based disciplines (algebra and geometry) is more difficult. I've seen it in another kid my DD's age, same HG++ level, who is doing poorly in algebra in part because it is a big conceptual leap for that kid who was taught more traditional methods.

I agree that EM does not emphasize "drilling" facts enough, and I personally think EM needs to be supplemented with repetition of facts.

EM has become like the New York Yankess - everybody loves to hate them.

Inky, my reading of the article about Singapore makes it sound conceptually-based, similar to EM (the so-called "fuzzy math" programs). Am I reading it right?

Anyway, EM has worked for my kids, so do not despair if your school is using it. There is no perfect way to teach math.