That is NOT how the Everyday Math thing is supposed to work! The whole point of it is that there are different ways to do things, and there should be a way in there for every kid. They should NOT be marking things wrong because a kid uses one method over another, as that is what the system is designed to avoid! That said, I am not a huge fan of it for anything except that point. I think most of the methods are ridiculous and there was nothing wrong with the methods that have been around for centuries that we were taught. But that's because I already know how to do math that way and am too old a dog to be taught new tricks. smile Umm, I digress.

I would move a child for the reasons you state, if it were necessary. I would also discuss with the teacher that you know, the wrongheadedness of the last teacher's approach to the fuzzy...err...Everyday Math program, and see if you can't get a better approach to your needs where you are. Do what you gotta do.

Edited to add:
Having reviewed the link in the post above mine, and read all the comments there, I must say that I think the only reason I have not gone rounds with the school over Everyday Math is that my son didn't actually need to learn any of the math this year. If he hadn't already known the stuff they were doing (and I have only been exposed to it at the first grade level), we would have been fighting with the school all year. I also believe that his teacher may have been doing a better job with that curriculum than what it calls for, from what I saw this year and what the parents in that post have experienced. I look forward (with dread) to the following years, and we'll see what happens.

Last edited by Nautigal; 05/30/09 03:37 PM.