Originally Posted by Dottie
Good morning!

Welcome to club. Many, many kids have profiles similar to your sons. FWIW, he did GREAT!!! He is clearly gifted, possibly highly so, and has ceilings and near ceilings in the subtests that most experts consider the best estimates of cognitive ability.

And his achievement is correspondingly high. I personally think he would be fine with an acceleration, even with those "lower" processing scores. The WMI is fine at 116, and the PSI is certainly nothing to worry about at 106. His WJ fluency scores are well above average (50th).

So many school admins and psychs are trained to present the data exactly as yours did. We were told not to consider acceleration too, but to take up a sport and an instrument. This at age 6! (We ignored that advice, *grin*) Well, I shouldn't say ignored....he has sports, instruments AND accelerations!

Anyway, your friendship reasons are definitely things to consider, and you may have to hash this out in your own mind, but "on paper", I'd say he's an excellent candidate. However, schools are hard to fight.

And while many gifted kids DO have IQ's in that 132 range, most do NOT have GAI's in the 140's, and achievement consistently at the 99th percentile.

I loved everything Dottie said, so I just quoted it again. My DS11 scores are also "average" in the processing speed department. He did benifit from Occupational Therapy at age 7, and perhaps also would have benifited from vision therapy, but he is doing better since his grade skip because he enjoys learning and feels less like a freak. The older kids he is with are also bright and interesting and fun for him to be friends with. His advisor just emailed me asking isn't it interesting that he has gravitated towards the most academically able boys as friends. I think that some kids can and do make friends in their subject acceleration classes, but for my kid, he needed to be whole grade accelerated to get the social thing going. He is very loyal to his grade.

We were able to have his scores looked at by one of the Davidson Consultants because we were in the YSP. With a 40 point spread, we wanted to be sure that there was no hidden disability. The consultant explained that not every subtest on the IQ test is highly correlated with actual intelligence. On some test, such as being able to name simple pictures of common objects, being able to do average is actually all one would expect. I can't say that the fear of a hidden disability is 100% gone, but it is 97% gone. That is a very good thing.

I believe that you can suggest a trial gradeskip for 6 weeks and see how it's going. I think that if you explain that schools are build for the majority, and really don't exist to fit you, but that we are going to try to do our best to make it fit as well as possible, and that means trying things until we find out who you are and what you can do, and what is the best we can do with the availible resources.

There definitly are situations where going up to an unsatisfactory fit class means more busy work and no benefit. But there are also many situations where things work beautifully, at least for a while.

Good luck whatever you decide to try!
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com