The reason we originally asked for whole grade acceleration was that we were told there could not be any subject acceleration due to state curriculum and EOGs.
DS had requested to start learning pre-algebra/algebra, which we had been working on last summer. He reads high school/college literature on his own but is forced to read 4th-6th grade fiction for and in class (and not allowed to read ahead.) Science and social studies were no big deal because in the gifted program those are areas where enrichment vs. acceleration seems to work fine for him. Writing is his weakness, he seems to be at-grade-level there and keyboarding seems to be helping.

I'm sure they weren't aiming at a disability. That would require an IEP and just cost them more money. They were just trying to say that the average of his skills was more important than his strengths, developmentally.
Honestly, I think that because he has few to no behavior issues, makes high grades and appears to be doing well socially, they prefer to keep him safely right where he is. I get that, but also wonder if that is what is truly best for him, intellectually and motivationally, now and in the future.

We are having him tested on the 8th grade Explore test through Duke TIP in February and we are having an independent Psych go over everything to see if we have a ?legal? case for differential instruction. That's all I can come up with to advocate further.