I think we might have had a prior discussion or two regarding the potential risks of earning too many college credits if the student decides to pursue admission at some of the more selective colleges. If anyone can access the links easily, please post them here as I can't seem to locate them. I believe the issue had to do with freshman admission versus transfer student admission. One year of AP credit leading to sophomore standing is not a problem whereas actual college credits can be a problem although I am not certain how many credits before it becomes a problem.

In our district all qualified students are encouraged to take a few college courses. There are a number of colleges involved in such "early" programs and at the community college the first four courses are free and subsequent ones are discounted. These are primarily aimed at Juniors and Seniors but there are provisions for Freshmen and Sophomores as well.

I was going to wait another year until DS/DD are finishing middle school before investigating but I recently discovered that my incoming 8th graders qualify for admission under their "gifted 8th graders" program without even placement testings. Apparently, 8th graders can gain admission with just 500+ scores on every section (Math, Critical Reading, Writing) of the SAT or 21+ scores on the three corresponding sections (Math, Reading, English) of the ACT. I am trying to figure out whether it makes sense to meet with their Admission Director this summer to gain admission or wait until high school right before they need to take their first course.

I guess I am asking two separate sets of questions. The first set relating to the title of the topic and the second set relating to timing of admissions.

Actually, I have a third set of questions relating to multiple sources of college credit. In addition to AP credits, my kids will have some credits from this community college and a private university (due to CTY scholarships) and likely one of the state flagships as well. Does anyone have older kids or family members who are further along and have dealt with or as least examined these issues?