The answer to your title question will depend upon the college your kiddo ultimately attends. It may also depend upon the college where they take classes while still in high school (or middle school).

I have one entering senior year of college and one who will be a freshman. While they did not take dual enrollment classes or similar, they know kids who did. For the most part, selective colleges won't accept college classes taken in HS for college credit (but they may work for placement). I am speaking as a resident of PA, and I know things can vary - things work very differently in CA.

In our area, the community colleges are a joke. You would be much better off taking AP classes at the HS. In fact, if you want to take a summer class to accelerate in math or science, our district HS only approves of classes at certain area private schools. Classes taken at community college are only accepted for remedial purposes.

There are some great private colleges near us, and we have six 4 year colleges within a few miles of our home. Some kids take math at these colleges when they run out of classes at the HS.

I doubt that taking a few courses at a local college while in HS would make a college applicant a transfer student rather than a freshman. One of the key phrases here is "while in HS" - if you get your HS diploma then take a college course or two, then try to enroll as a freshman, you may have a problem.

Also, before your kiddo takes any of these classes, find out if they go on the HS transcript and how they may be weighted (or not). Taking a very challenging college course while in HS could have some unexpected consequences.