Originally Posted by psychland
I work at a university and college grads are not able to find jobs (at least not with a bachelor's degree), individuals with technical degrees are being employed at a 4 to 1 ratio over those with college degrees AND make higher salaries (even over a life time). I agree that it has not always been that way but right now it is. I think it is more of a sense of pride thing (my child is at ______ college working on ___ degree) than an actual nuts and bolts thing. OR perhaps society does not realize how worthless (financially) a college degree is quite yet. I would say if universities continue to aspire to a business model as opposed to a tradition academic model (online "universities" have completely changed the landscape)this will continue to be the case and only get worse. For now, I would say unless you just love to learn (and enjoy research) and want to earn a Ph.D. or you are going to major in healthcare, engineering,or technology an undergrad degree simply is not worth the money. I love being in academia but it is not something that I would necessarily choose again in today's economy. Of course I attended state school for undergrad and grad (for free) and did not finish school thousands of dollars in debt.
Unfortunately many jobs that 25 years ago did not require more than a H.S. degree, now require a B.A. I am not kidding.. Want to be the manager at the store rather than just the cashier you better have a degree. Want to be a receptionist at an office, you need that B.A. I agree this is stupid but it's the crazy world we live in. Why, because they can hire the college grad who at least on paper looks like the better hire.