Originally Posted by JonLaw
Originally Posted by Dude
Originally Posted by JonLaw
Originally Posted by Bostonian
She is addressing an audience of parents who have graduated from selective colleges. No, their IQ's are not average, and since IQ is highly heritable, the IQ's of most of their children will also be above average. According to "Coming Apart" (p66) by Charles Murray, the average IQ of children of two parents who graduated from an elite college is 121.

That's a pretty low I.Q.

For the purposes of this forum, absolutely.

I was referring to my worldview, but sure, I guess that applies to this forum too.

I generally feel bad for people with I.Q.s that low.

I have to say, JonLaw, although I often think you have some great and funny insights, that this remark comes off as absurd to me. In fact most of the thread that I've read so far is also kind of over the top, to me: comments such as kids with iq 121 should not have gifted services (considering how these numbers are soooo mucky at the low end, as well as at the high end ). I really don't think that should be the focus of reforming gifted education: push out all the kids who are too borderline to be 'worth it'.

Can you really feel bad for someone with iq 121 or so? high potential to get into a good school and graduate? Surely it's relatively reasonable to imagine they will not only be able to go 'through the motions' of learning, they will in fact be learning. A lot.

So I don't know where this comes from other than working with folks around that iq? Certainly I find it frustrating to deal with folks who aren't making sense or are not keeping up with a conversation (I imagine they find me pretty full of b.s. a lot of the time and are sorry for me that I am so pompous.)

Anyway, just seemed like the flavor of this conversation (too long for me to read all posts) is kind of bitter.

On that note, I leave a rudely-worded but funny article my DH found: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/shouts/2014/03/new-parenting-study-released.html

Maybe you all have read it before.

Last edited by chris1234; 04/02/14 10:35 AM.