Originally Posted by Bostonian
On the day the Russian School of Math had its open house, it felt like we saw half of the parents in town that we knew. ...

My parents strongly supported my education, but I don't think they knew the names of the major math and science competitions, math camps, etc. Now more such opportunities exist, and information about them is a Google away. Once you know about them you may feel guilty for not pursuing them.

The ideas that's missing from this discussion is the assumption by tiger-parent types that their method is most likely to result in a "successful" child. My understanding from what I've read is that this is the primary point of driving children. I find this assumption to be simplistic. First, what is success, and second, why do tiger parents think they have a right to define it for someone else? Your child isn't your property, and when he grows up, the right to define a) what to do with his life and b) personal success is his alone.

TBH, I suspect that a lot of tiger parenting is about controlling the kid being disguised with the idea that "this is best for you" or "we're trying to teach you how to be successful." Whatever that means.