Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
if you happen to live in one of those attractor locations, and have a child who is HG+, the clamoring to make MG children LOOK like HG+ ones is even fiercer

Wow, that sounds really intense. Somehow I am escaping that. I don't know if I'm oblivious, or if it's that I'm at a university known for its emphasis on social justice. Most of my colleagues hold the liberal belief that if you support public schools, you are morally obligated to put your children there, and to talk yourself into believing that the education they're getting is good. (I have never understood this line of argument.)

Some are even outraged that there is a college-prep charter school in town that takes no net funding away from the other public schools and does admission purely by lottery. Because it's elitist to have such a school. Or something.

On the flip side, there are parents with whom I have the "why did you choose Private School X" conversation. These conversations tend to be slow and quiet and cautious, filled with euphamisms like "meeting my child's needs," until me and the other parent suss each other out. Honestly, these parents strike me as much more like the people on this board than like ego-driven Tiger Parents.