Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by JonLaw
Um.

That's status.
Yes, but of the children, not the parents.

Yet you admit that you're trying to create it for your own kids, so in your case, it's the parents. Parental status mongering is the entire point of the complaints on this thread.

TBH, if people see status as an important goal, that's their choice and there are lots of prep schools and colleges where these people or their children can be statusy with each other. They can wear particular brands of clothes or drive certain cars so that everyone will know they can afford these things, and they can all talk about them and laugh that particular self-satisfied laugh and feel good about their stuff. Personally, I think that's kind of silly, but then again, I also have front-row seats to the damage it can do. You see, there is always someone whose Ferrari is nicer than yours, and when life is about being #1 or being a loser, most of these types lose at least one contest every day. frown

No, what I've been saying is that there should also be a few places where HG+ types can go if they're more interested in learning stuff than in the status symbols. We have many special schools in this country: magnet schools for art and schools for disabled kids and schools for high achievers and themed charter schools and etc. I think we could also do with a few more places where HG+ kids could explore things in depth and at a suitable pace.