This is a little long, so if you are breezing through, forgive me. This came from my son's testing report and I'm not sure how to begin to address it (and the doctor didn't have concrete suggestions). Oh, for those who need numbers, his comprehension subtest of the VCI was 9, the other two subtests were 19 and 16, to give him a 128. Here goes:

"Although DS6 has no significant intellectual weaknesses, one area where he is average compared to his same aged peers relates to the abilities of: social judgment, application of practical knowledge and judgment in social situations, ability to evaluate past experiences, and knowledge of conventional standards of behaviour. His parents may want to work with him on: understanding social customs, societal activiites such as how other children react to things, how the government works, and how banks operate. They can also discuss the actions of others to help develop an awareness of social relationships and what to expect of them. Role playing situations can also help to facilitate his understanding of why we do things in the world the way we do them. Encourage DS to take another's point of view. Also focus on helping him to recognize dfferences and likenesses in his world (in shapes, textures, and daily surroundings). Doing exercises that involve classifications and generalizations can help him with concept information."

Huh????

I might add that he is an only child and his father thinks role playing is a joke (perhaps one small indicator of why his score here was low?). DS doesn't have many friends although he is involved in karate and soccer. He has only made one friend at school this year that just in the last week or two has he mentioned asking him over.

I have no idea how to tackle this recommendation. Any suggestions? Am I supposed to sit him down and say "okay, now we're going to learn how a bank works"? Which, by the way, I thought he knew, but I digress. Then, move on to "now, we're going to learn recognizing differences in shapes"? What to do, what to do?