Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: KatieMama Summer school for gifted - 07/11/12 02:35 PM
Wow! I know many of you have your kids in an environment where they're with gifted kids in school, but mine goes to a regular public school. Right now, he's in a summer camp for gifted kids for the first time and he LOVES it! He's made friends with a little girl his age (6-years-old) and they're having a blast together in classes. Yesterday he had the other 5 kids in his class playing "zombie baby day care" (Don't ask!) and he thought it was wonderful that the teacher let him "direct" their play. (It's a storytelling class.) The teachers say the other kids love him and go right along with his crazy ideas.

Most of the other kids in his classes go to a school for gifted kids. They all seem to know each other, but they accepted my son right into the fold. What a fantastic experience for him to be in class with kids his own age playing 6-year-old games.

I'm so grateful!
Posted By: Dude Re: Summer school for gifted - 07/11/12 03:05 PM
LOL... my DD7 has a 10yo gifted friend who comes over with her 7up sister, and my DW and I love listening to what they're playing sometimes. One particular game keeps catching our attention because there's lots of yelling, and we stop by to check if everything is okay. "We're fine, we're just playing ______ Momma," where the blank has evolved from Crazy, to Abusive, to Violent. I'm not sure where they're going next, but I suppose Zombie is a logical step.

DD has declared an upcoming "Crazy Voice Weekend," with a Star Wars theme on Saturday, and a Harry Potter theme on Sunday. The plan is for everyone to do everything in a character voice all day long... though I'm not sure DD can sustain her Chewbacca voice over an entire day.
Posted By: KatieMama Re: Summer school for gifted - 07/11/12 04:22 PM
Dude...That happens to us all the time! LOL

Scenario: We hear screaming and banging coming from the other room. We go to check on them and ask if everything's okay. They look at us like we're the ones creating the raucous and say, "We're fine. We're just playing."

I love the "Crazy Voice Weekend" idea! That's excellent!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum