Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: deacongirl Atlanta? - 02/26/11 03:59 PM
Posted By: Grinity Re: Atlanta? - 03/02/11 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by deacongirl
And also by the fact that I just can't imagine sending my beautiful dd9 into a large public middle school with mean girls (I know private schools have mean girls too. Just dreading the whole thing for her!).
I wish I had more info on Atlanta, but the good thing about a move is that you might get some say in which neighborhood you move to - keep asking, even attend an Atlanta gifted association meeting or two if possible and see what the local folks have to say.
Or at least make phone or email contact - try
http://www.gagc.org/region-map.asp

But I can point out that you have to - have to- have to update your software on the mean girl problem. The problem is real, but you can't solve it geographically. Time to journal, blog, or post here what your own experiences were and do a bit of 'turning the soil' so the compost can do it's magic and turn hard times into wisdom.
I also recommend Howard Glasser's
All Children Flourishing - Igniting the Greatness of Our Children
Howard Glasser with Melissa Block
as a way to transform your outlook and help your daughter grow to the point where she can handle anything that come's down the pike. I believe she has it in her, and that you can be helpful to her in growing that inner wealth.

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: mnmom23 Re: Atlanta? - 03/02/11 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by deacongirl
So thinking if we could only do private for one maybe we would do dd9 for middle, and then I think there are more options for public high school. But what if dd3 turns out to be EG/HG which would be more complicated? (testing for her scheduled for April after she turns 4).

It is absolutely doable to have one child in public school and one child in private school, and to even have a third child in some other situation. I know I always imagined that all my kids would attend the same schools (and even thought it was crazy when I met a family in which all four kids were at different schools), but we have one in private school and two in public school and it's worked out just fine. We've adjusted things a bit as we've had kids identified as gifted at various levels, from accelerations and skips to changes of entire schools. And, thankfully, the kids are not only no worse for wear, but better off for it. In fact, we're switching things up yet again next year when DD9 starts middle school at a new school. Then we'll have three kids in three different schools.

Anyway, what I'm saying is focus only on your two kids who are in school right now, and find the best schools for each of them -- individually if necessary -- and then figure out a future plan for your younger DD separately when you've gotten a better sense of what she's going to need.

Sorry I'm not any help with Atlanta specifically. It's a great city, though!
Posted By: JJsMom Re: Atlanta? - 03/02/11 09:53 PM
Steer clear of Atlanta Public Schools - or at least right now. They are under investigation for CRCT cheating, and they are about to lose their accreditation.

However, Fulton County Schools, some, are much better. So are some Dekalb County Schools (by Emory). However, they are also going through some changes. Also, when you say "Atlanta", or at least here in Atlanta, that could mean anywhere within a 60 mile radius of Atlanta. In that case, steer clear of Clayton County Schools too.

My children are going to a charter school next year, so look into those as well (though I personally would steer clear of any that belong to Imagine).
Posted By: JJsMom Re: Atlanta? - 03/02/11 09:57 PM
Oh, and for the record, it's very common for kids to go to private middle school in certain areas, then go back into the public realm for high school. We have considered it for both of our children, though our oldest is only 7.

Also, if the area you move has a school that didn't make AYP, they generally allow for attendance at a school that has made it.
Posted By: deacongirl Re: - 03/03/11 05:03 PM
Posted By: Chrys Re: Atlanta? - 03/03/11 05:50 PM
I have heard positive things from one PG family with a middle schooler at the Atlanta Girls School. I don't know if they are on this board.
Posted By: deacongirl Re: Atlanta? - 03/03/11 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Chrys
I have heard positive things from one PG family with a middle schooler at the Atlanta Girls School. I don't know if they are on this board.

Wow--had never heard of that school--sounds pretty great. I am already sold on all girls...and love this
"the student body includes girls from a broad spectrum of ethnic, racial, religious, social, economic and political backgrounds. We are proud to say we are the only independent school that truly represents the diversity of Atlanta�s population, making it one of the most diverse schools in the nation."

and "Students are permitted to advance through curriculum at their own pace, meaning students may advance beyond �grade level� where appropriate."

We better start saving our $$$$.
Posted By: Catalana Re: Atlanta? - 03/03/11 07:01 PM
My sister in law is a principal of a k-5 school in Fulton County and my brother in law teaches at a HS in Fulton County.

The schools vary - I agree that you should speak with the gifted ass'n. Sometimes the top rated schools are not the best at dealing with differences - they have a "all our kids are smart" attitude.

I have to say bullying of any form is not accepted at my sister in law's school, they take it very seriously. And at her school, at least in math, they have no problem with subject acceleration. She has 2 kids who go up 2 years in the school and 3-4 per grade who go up one year. Her school has a diverse range of abilities, and it seems to me they are willing to work with parents if a child has the need for more challenge. As with anything, I wouldn't dismiss all of the public schools (I have found the private schools I have spoken to are less willing to accomodate individual needs than the public ones).
Posted By: JJsMom Re: Atlanta? - 03/03/11 08:11 PM
Decatur is going through some changes. I'm actually not sure if it's Decatur City or Dekalb County schools that are getting ready to close schools and rezone. But in general, Decatur has good schools.

Buckhead itself probably has great schools, but Buckhead is a very ritzy area, so if your daughters are not the Kardashians (sp?), and you don't plan on buying them a brand new BMW when they turn 16, you may need to look elsewhere (since you are worried about bullying). But, with the money in the area, as long as the APS don't lose their accreditation, it wouldn't be a bad spot to be.

North Fulton (Alpharetta) is a good area too. It's still considered Fulton County Schools. But as with everywhere in ATL, individual schools vary.

DS7 goes to a Title I school in our county, and it's actually a great school. At first I was hesitant because of it being Title I, but the parents are involved, the teachers are involved, and the kids are very diverse. He went to a non-Title I school last year, and I felt tension with the parents there. While DS had no issues, I could see where he could have. The only reason DC are going to a Charter School next year is because DS will thrive with the Math & Science focus, and we would like to move closer to our jobs. And now we can without worrying about the schools (well until 7th grade). The only requirement is for us to stay in the county.
Posted By: deacongirl Re: Atlanta? - 03/09/11 05:02 PM
Catalana, that is very encouraging re: public schools. I am in the middle of the book "I am charlotte Simmons" now though and it is making the all girls option really attractive for my dd! UGH! Thanks to you all for the input--the job is acutally a long shot, but knowing how long it takes me to get my stuff together, I need to be exploring now...
Posted By: designerjulia Re: Atlanta? - 03/10/11 05:09 PM
Hi Deacongirl.
I'm 99% a lurker here, but I live in Dekalb County, right next to Decatur, so I wanted to throw my 2 cents in.
First, about Dekalb County. Yes, undergoing major changes in redistricting. If you buy in this area, be sure about what school your kids are districted for, don't take the real estate agent's word on it. I would say that individual schools in the county can be very good. However, I do not see a complete feeder pattern that is tops the whole way through (and yes, middle school is often the weak spot, and I think that has to do with the fact that the concept and reality of middle school just sucks and the best one can hope for is a middle school that just sucks less than others.) My kids are in Fernbank Elementary school (near Emory), and my personal observation is that while I've generally been very happy with their experience within the school house, every time I've gotten involved with anyone at the county admin level it has been a complete nightmare. (DS9, in the MG to HG range, has a 504 for dysgraphia.) So I will say that DCSS is possibly NOT a good fit with for a child with disabilities, at least in terms of receiving real services from the county. I would also say that gifted education in DCSS is a bit of a joke (they RIF-ed the county gifted coordinator last year, and that was no big loss). Again, my kids doing well has more to do with the individual elementary school and their personalities than anything the county has done or is doing.

Unfortunately, I would also say the same of Decatur City schools. I have several close friends that are in that city school system, and it is quite good for the average (or even gifted) kid. One, however, has a child with pretty severe dyslexia (and is MG to HG) and her experience in getting a useful IEP in place required being one step from litigation. I don't know how different it would be for a child with Downs Syndrome... the problem seemed to stem from the fact that Decatur City schools refuses to recognize dyslexia... but you would want to talk to head of special education there first (whose name is Pat Kennedy, btw.)

About Padeia. Yup, if I won the lottery tomorrow, that is where I would probably send my kids after elementary school (even though the feeder pattern for Fernbank leads to one of the less sucky middle schools and better high schools). But, I also know a mom whose older kids started at Fernbank, ended up at Paideia (during the last redistricting drama several years ago) and whose younger kids are now back at Fernbank (because multiple kids at Paideia got to be too much $$$). Her opinion was, at the elementary school level at least, that there was no fundamental difference in the quality of education between the 2 schools. That is just one person's opinion, and I don't know anything about her kids, so your mileage may vary.

Wow, this post was just a total Debbie-downer, huh? I guess I just wanted to give you a ground's eye view of this part of Atlanta. My sense of the whole Atlanta area is that many school systems are a hot mess at the county admin level, but that there are individual schools and feeder patterns in many areas that are very good. And there are several very good private schools in the area (including Paideia) but as has been said on these boards many times, you can't assume that they will be better just because they are private.

Last thought... Gwinnett county just won a big national award for the management and achievement of their school system. You could look there, but you would have a sucky commute. I will say, even with all the hassle we've been through at DCSS (and all the hassle my friend has been through with Decatur City schools) we both LOVE the Decatur/Emory area and have worked with (and sometimes against) the schools here because the area and lifestyle is so nice.
Posted By: Drea4545 Re: Atlanta? - 03/10/11 07:03 PM
I moved from DC to the Atlanta area for the public schools. We live in East Cobb. The schools are incredible - public schools that have the amenities of private (because parents pump a ton of money and resources into them).

We did a ton of research before moving here. Feel free to send me a PM.

There are lots of wonderful private schools and charter schools in ATL, if you want to stay in the city. The cost (for 2 kids) was a little much for us, so we decided on the suburbs.
Posted By: JJsMom Re: Atlanta? - 03/11/11 02:43 PM
I came out of East Cobb schools myself. smile I would also highly recommend them. It, along with Alpharetta, is also one of very few areas which have homes that are holding their value through this major market meltdown.
Posted By: deacongirl Re: Atlanta? - 03/18/11 02:39 AM
Posted By: deacongirl Re: Atlanta? - 03/18/11 11:03 AM
So because I have nothing better than to do grin than to stay up until 2 a.m. researching schools for a move that is a slim possibility, right now, I was very happy to learn about East Cobb schools. Many of my college friends are from Atlanta and the majority came out of the private schools, so I wasn't familiar with East Cobb. I would guess there are very few parts of the country where you could have that level of quality (at least judging by the HS) with a house that we could actually afford.

Drea4545 I would love it if you could pm me with the details on specific schools--and also if you happen have any insight into the elem. school situation for my son who has Down syndrome. I am thinking advocating effectively for dd4 (I think >MG), ds 7, and dd10 (who just scored in the 99% on the English section of Explore) while they are at the same elementary school could be challenging!

Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Drea4545 Re: Atlanta? - 03/24/11 05:41 PM
deacongirl - replied to your message. Yes, it is sooooo affordable here. DD's school does very well for gifted kids, as well as some special ed services (I do see children in her school with Down Syndrome). My babysitter is highly gifted and attends 8th grade at the middle school- and is doing amazing stuff. Most of her classes are accelerated, and she is attending an overseas program this summer.
Posted By: 103mom Re: Atlanta? - 04/22/11 02:27 PM
We moved to atlanta 7 yrs ago. I have 2 kids, both brainy. In atlanta the best private school , rated number 2 in the world by the way is Westminster. Besides westminster, there is lovett (top notch!), woodward ( kids travel on bus as it is near the airport, very very good school), Pace- small private school, very nice, kind environment. Schenck if child is dyslexic, Atlanta speech school. If you choose the public school route, the best are in cobb county- marietta. All of the private schools require JATP testing, done through child psychologists, try to get this done so you know where your child is and can pick the best school for them.Westminster, pace, lovett, schenck and atlanta speech school are all in buckhead. Good luck!! Hope this helps smile
Posted By: JJsMom Re: Atlanta? - 04/25/11 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by designerjulia
Hi Deacongirl.

Last thought... Gwinnett county just won a big national award for the management and achievement of their school system. You could look there, but you would have a sucky commute. I will say, even with all the hassle we've been through at DCSS (and all the hassle my friend has been through with Decatur City schools) we both LOVE the Decatur/Emory area and have worked with (and sometimes against) the schools here because the area and lifestyle is so nice.

This made me chuckle as I always say for commute alone, you would NEVER catch me living north or south of the city on I-85. smile
Posted By: deacongirl Re: Atlanta? - 11/08/11 03:51 PM
Posted By: deacongirl Re: Atlanta? - 11/08/11 04:01 PM
Bumping as Atlanta is once again looking likely. Anyone with info. on specific East Cobb schools would love your feedback! I am interested in feeder schools to Walton/Pope/Lassiter.
dd11 5th grade MG-HG (Need to have her re-tested to qualify for services) Loves violin and I am thinking Mabry might have the best orchestra program? She is not as into science as english/art/history.
ds8 Down syndrome--until now fully included with typical peers and 1:1 aide in Montessori--I would not want him in self-contained class--he would prob. be placed in 2nd grade
dd4 some sort of gifted--I suspect at least HG--major psychomotor OE (possibly ADHD but I really don't think so) NOT a people pleaser if she is bored(well more with teachers than Mom, lol!) and would prob. really love the science lab at Tritt. Also--Asian, so for her at least in terms of having other Asian girls in her class (the complete absence of which has been tough for her), it seems the feeders to Walton would meet that need...but is that school too competitive?

Any info. would be great!
Thanks!
Posted By: Belle Re: Atlanta? - 11/11/11 05:52 AM
I have to second someone suggestion of Woodward....I lived and grew up in Atlanta and attended Woodward Academy for most of my schooling....my memories of Woodward and the education I got there were the most amazing years of my life and I actually learned more there then then I did in college. The quality of the classes I took were unreal and small and the sports/arts programs are like nothing I have ever seen in any other school. Amazing school
Posted By: deacongirl Re: Atlanta? - 11/11/11 04:32 PM
I know Atlanta has some great private schools. If we won the lottery I think Paideia would be our choice. But, private schools aren't in the picture for us going forward. Thanks for the feedback though!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum