Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Amber Question about WJ-III norming - 04/25/14 05:12 PM
Hi! My DS took the WJ a few weeks ago, and I just got his scores. The report lists him as 2nd grade, but he is in first grade. Would this change the scores?
Posted By: madeinuk Re: Question about WJ-III norming - 04/25/14 09:27 PM
I think so, yes.

The good news is that the WJ tests use a mathematical model that you can plug the scores into and then extrapolate based on age/grade that is entered.

When DD was tested we got two outputs AE (age equivalent) and GE (grade equivalent). It ought to be a simple matter to get the tester to rerun the numbers using a different grade.

I am no expert on testing but i do know this from first hand experience - we got this done to support the case for our DD's skip from 2nd to 4th. We were able to get the numbers produced as though she was entering 4th grade ( tested mid way through 2nd) based on her raw scores. So it works 'forwards' and I would expect it to work 'backwards' too.

Good luck.
Posted By: Amber Re: Question about WJ-III norming - 04/26/14 03:31 PM
Thank you! I'll see if she's willing to re run it as a first grader.
Posted By: aeh Re: Question about WJ-III norming - 04/26/14 06:17 PM
Ask her to re-run it using age norms, for the most accurate picture of his performance without compensating for any prior grade skips. That's the preferred way to derive norm-referenced scores for gifted kids, unless you are deliberately looking for out-of-level testing. In the latter case, (say, if you need to demonstrate that a student in a proposed grade skip is achieving at the 95+%ile of the receiving grade), the scores should be run based on grade norms, using the destination grade level.

I'm a school psych, so testing is kind of my thing. wink
Posted By: Amber Re: Question about WJ-III norming - 04/27/14 01:32 PM
Thank you! The report does say his scores are compared with "peers his age" so I'm assuming that means she ran them using the age norms. Thanks for your help!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum