Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: treecritter A breath of fresh air.... - 12/08/10 09:55 PM
We hear so much about bad teachers and bad schools on this forum, I thought I would share a story of a good teacher with an understanding of how to deal with first graders. When my son's class is done with their work, they have the option of reading on the carpet until everyone else finishes. Andrew had been complaining that he was tired of reading on the carpet - and it became somewhat apparent that it was because he spent the majority of the day doing that. I told him to discuss it politely and respectfully with his teacher. Apparently he did. She asked what he would rather do, and he said draw pictures. So she gave him a spiral notebook and said that he could draw pictures as long as he wrote a story to go along with it. Now he enjoys going to school again, his writing is improving, and he doesn't whine nearly so much about doing his reading at home. Thank goodness for flexible teachers!
Posted By: Grinity Re: A breath of fresh air.... - 12/08/10 11:03 PM
Yippee!
Posted By: Chrys Re: A breath of fresh air.... - 12/09/10 02:13 AM
Maybe we should keep adding our "good teacher" stories here?
Posted By: AlexsMom Re: A breath of fresh air.... - 12/09/10 02:35 AM
My DD has had really great luck with teachers. All of them have really "gotten" her, and done their best to keep her productively occupied.
Posted By: intparent Re: A breath of fresh air.... - 12/09/10 02:46 AM
D (now 15) had identical twins that team taught her 3rd grade class. They were FABULOUS. It was the first fall conference where I felt like they were talking about my kid, not someone else's... and they got her. Two heads were better than one in that instance! I admit... neither D nor I could ever tell them apart, though. We both had to read their nametags for the whole year.
Posted By: MagnaSky Re: A breath of fresh air.... - 12/09/10 03:27 AM
We should have a place for good stories. After three years of disastrous experiences with my oldest ds, I was scared to think how school would be for my youngest ds because of his very intense personality. I did not know what to expect from the first teacher parent conference. After 10 min listening about how great my ds is and how much she loves his enthusiasm about everything, I was almost crying. At last there was another human who gets my ds! He loves drawing and is very detail oriented; she gives him Ed Emberley book to use in class for drawing. He is in love with the book, and now we have one at home as well. He can draw from it for long periods of time.
This is my first post here, I want to add, that this board has helped me so much to better understand my children.
Posted By: CAMom Re: A breath of fresh air.... - 12/09/10 04:28 AM
My son had a truly wonderful 1st grade teacher who was wonderful because she realized she could not help him very much! He was so far beyond the rest of her class and her comfort zone that she basically forced the principal to agree to a skip mid-year. The principal was hesitant for a host of reasons, none that related specifically to my DS. This teacher just pushed and pushed until she got her way!

And thank goodness she did- he skipped into a stunning 2nd grade class where the teacher was a master at differentiation, actually used OEs once in a parent discussion as the explanation for why her class looks so weird. She had kids standing, sitting exercise balls, laying on the floor- whatever they wanted. But they were each challenged, learned fabulous things about school, life and themselves as humans. She had private goal setting conferences with them weekly, worked with them on individual projects and expanding their "portfolios of work".

I'm bitter this year because my DS's teacher is very much like "So? What do you want me to do? I teach 3rd grade not 6th." Blech!

I miss his last teacher so much, and so does he! But that gave us hope that there are others out there!
Posted By: intparent Re: A breath of fresh air.... - 12/09/10 05:28 PM
Human cloning laugh
Posted By: vicam Re: A breath of fresh air.... - 12/14/10 09:12 PM
I agree after a horrible grade 3 last year DS9 has 3 tremendous teachers who get his unique perspective and love him for it. I want to insist they move to grade 5 next year. I jsut try to let them know how much I appreciate them and be sure to let the principal know how lucky he is to have them. I have also pointed out how much this year is better. keep the bosses aware of the good ones.
Posted By: Breakaway4 Re: A breath of fresh air.... - 12/14/10 10:07 PM
Happily, gratefully I can add my own wonderful teacher(s) story here. DS9 has three main teachers in fifth grade after a disastrous 4th grade year. These three teachers get him as a person and as a student and have all worked on making sure he is challenged as often as possible. I have thanked them over and over and I haven't mentioned it to the principal yet but it is on my to do list now. They even love it when he corrects them in class - last year's teacher took it as disrespect.
Posted By: MDMommy Re: A breath of fresh air.... - 12/16/10 06:07 PM
My almost 7 year old DS's teacher recently made materials for teaching the layers of the atmosphere which she laminated. Here he is in 1st grade and she used her time to make these materials that would normally be used for 4th graders. Thank you Montessori and Ms. A!
Posted By: shellymos Re: A breath of fresh air.... - 12/17/10 02:26 AM
Had a great meeting with DS6's school(s) today. They are really working to meet his needs. 4th grade is going very well for Math, they said they assume he will easily complete 5th grade this year too and move to 6th next year (and they have already started talking with some teachers that they think would be a good fit)...which is good but a little daunting. Also, his 4th grade teacher that he goes to for math said she wants to test him for reading and give his 2nd grade teacher some materials. They tested him for reading last year, but the school only went up to N so he was a level N. She said that she thinks he is way up there in reading as he is able to do all the other subject work that she gives the rest of her 4th grade class. They all had really good things to say about DS6, and while they recognized some of his quirks they just kind of had an attitude that said that is who he is and didn't act as if he had to conform. They talked about how much the other kids seem to like him and are good with him in both classes. They took their time to meet with me after my work got out and met with me for over an hour! I am truly blessed. I know that each year is different with different teachers, but I am hoping this will continue and if not I am enjoying it while it lasts! I have to say that a year and a half ago when my son started his school career, I was so anxious about having a PG kid in a public school. I was told by almost everyone that it wouldn't work. I am so grateful that it is working!!
Posted By: elastigirl Re: A breath of fresh air.... - 12/25/10 04:06 AM
We have a wonderful school that is activly working with us in 5th grade. Granted, I do not ask for things that cost the school in time or money. But with some creative solutions, we have heavily modified our daughter's schooling and it is working brilliantly. I've used a lot of information from DI seminars as well as suggestions from parents and DI family counselor. Put it together - we gave two great presentations, got everything we wanted, have a very happy teacher, interested principal, and thrilled kid. The principal wants us to stay in touch as our daughter moves in to middle school. She say she wants to take what we have done and use what we can to support some up and coming gifted kids that she isn't sure how to handle. We are breaking ground. What a gift our school is!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum