Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Dottie #99890 04/20/11 04:57 PM
    Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    How close were the scores? Is the cut based on only the composite? How were the individual areas of verbal, quantitative and nonverbal compared to the cut?

I think the above is the key question(s).

Tammy

C
    C
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Also, I have heard many stories of HG+ kids doing poorly on the CogAT - it seems better suited to ID MG kids, but misses many HG+ kids for some reason.
    My guess would be that it is due to the test being multiple choice and relying so heavily on fast processing after grade 2, when it is timed, and convergent thinking.

For example, the verbal classification section gives the kids a list of words and asks them to select from a group of choices how these words are the same. A child who comes up with some unique manner in which they are related cannot explain further why that fits since it is multiple choice. A deeper thinker may see too many possibilities.

I'm honestly not even sure on iding MG kids with the CogAT. I'm sure that there are some gifted kids (MG or otherwise) who do well on it, but I'm not sure that it is good for testing giftedness in general. Just b/c the scores on the CogAT correlate fairly well with IQ scores for children who fall within 1 SD of the mean, doesn't mean that the scores correlate well with IQ for kids who fall further from the mean.

There are, admittedly, studies of the validity of the CogAT as compared to the WISC-III and the WJ Cog. which show a reasonable correlation btwn these different tests, again for average kids. However, I don't believe that there have been any studies done of the correlation btwn scores on the CogAT and an IQ test for gifted children or for children with intellectual disabilities.

F
    OP Offline
    F
    She scored a 126 on verbal and a 118 on non verbal. The child needs to score 3 point of which one point needs to be scored in verbal and one in non verbal. Here is the matrix

edited because quadrant didn't paste properly

Cognitive Abilities Test

(CogAT)
    0 1 2 3 4 5
    120-125 126-128 129-134 135-139 140+

Verbal
    National Percentile

Nonverbal
    National Percentile

Last edited by frannieandejsmom; 04/20/11 06:55 PM.
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    no other scores given.

Grinity #99987 04/21/11 10:21 AM
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    It may be that with 'just missed' plus a parent 'calmly and confidently' suggesting that their child really really needs the services, plus the support of the classroom teacher that may enough - and you wouldn't need testing at all.
    So do you think that the CG would let DD slide in? Or ask the school tester to do the WISC early?
    Grinity
    So when do you call the Gifted Coordinator and see if sliding is allowed? I also like the 'early WISC' alternative.
    Good luck,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    what does ID MG mean?

C
    C
    I am new to this website- and am not generally focused on my children's performance on a single test, per se. I know ultimate success is not solely based on raw intellect, but on so many factors.
    Yet, I am on my last baby.... now 3rd grade and wondering exactly what this recent test score he got means~ how it ranks~ what I could/should do to optimize his learning environment as a result?
    (We live in California, very very little money left in budgets for gifted development programs; and all adjunct opportunities seem cost prohibitive on our family budget!)
    He scored 143 overall (and his composite rank is 99 nationally)

Can anyone help me ?

Haha, almost forgot ..... this is on the CogAT

Last edited by ccon44; 04/22/11 03:26 PM. Reason: forgot to mention test!
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    I am becoming one of "those" moms smirk

The test was administered as a group. The questions were read to the kids. I am wondering if maybe she misunderstood some of the questions on the nonverbal test. Is CogAT a timed test? Also, why would it be off in the non verbal compared to her MAP scores which are very high

Last edited by frannieandejsmom; 04/25/11 07:39 PM.
    C
    C
    The test is timed starting in 3rd grade, which is the same point at which the kids read it to themselves. If it was read aloud to a group of kids, it wouldn't be timed. The potential for misinterpretation of the intent of the questions remains in either situation, of course.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM