Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #99841 04/20/11 09:56 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    We are hitting another brick wall with our son's school (I won't bore you all with the details). Suffice it to say that we are looking at a local Montessori school (an AMS accredited/certified school) or homeschooling for a couple of years.

I haven't read much on this site about either, so I was just wondering if any posters have had experience with them? I wanted the perspective of other parents of advanced/gifted children rather than just the general concensus, so I thought this was the best place to ask.

Thanks in advance for any input. smile

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Our (evolving) homeschool philosophy is very Montessori flavoured.
    Montessori school isn't an option for us, but the ideas, independence, child-led learning, etc etc are useful for me int eh way I set up and run my home and things like that. Of course, I can adapt it to suit my children in anyway I see fit, and that is really important.

I enjoy homeschooling most of the time. I've recently had the realisation (thanks to this site smile ) that it is unlikely I will ever really be able to send my DS to school. His spread is just too wide.

The key issue is flexibility. How much does this school REALLY "follow the child?" Because with these kids, being flexible is really important.

D
    D
    Lots of people who homeschool use Montessori materials and philosophy. A google search would probably get you lots of information.

Montessori has been an excellent fit for my MG+? dd10 since she started at age 3. I think it depends on LOG and temperment of child, skill and flexibility of teacher. But she has been very happy and challenged more than she would have been in the local public school (or other local private schools). Her Explore results imo confirm that her particular Montessori school has been doing a relatively good job of meeting her needs.

We have had very good success with Montessori; my dd has been able to maintain her focus and momentum for many years in that environment. She truly "owns" her education. The teachers have been without exception receptive to our ideas/suggestions and very very excited to have her in their classroom. We even had one of the 4-6 grade teachers approach us when she was in the younger classroom to let us know they were "gearing up" for her to move up. Those same teachers have told me that part of their job with her is to "get out of her way". But it had to be the right montessori. As in any learning environment for a g/t child, you are looking for flexibility. Be sure to ask what they do for children who learn quickly. Can they go to the next level classroom for materials or lessons?

I don't know if it would be a perfect environment for all children and no school is perfect. there are expectations that children will do some things that are repetitive (e.g. counting money every day). My dd raced through those types of works so she could get to the "good stuff" but it might make another child a little nuts.

Also, I think montessori classrooms do a good job "socializing" children. the teachers model kindness and respect, and appreciation for the gifts of every child. The children return this in kind.

Last edited by herenow; 04/20/11 04:39 PM.
    C
    C
    Our boy is at a Montessori school that is allowing him to move at his own pace as long as he can prove mastery of the material. He just turned 7 and is completing 6th grade and we have had no problems with attitudes or emotional issues which means he is being challenged and is not bored.

DS9 - Starting 9th grade
    DS7 - Starting 5th grade

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...