Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Has anyone had any experience with the AOPs online courses,specifically Algebra I and also Intro. to Computer Programming? I like the philosophy behind the curriculum but wonder how well suited to DS10 - not content-wise but delivery-wise.

My dd11 is taking Algebra 1 right now. She is about 1/2 way through the class. I think AOPS suits her as she had already worked through the Key to Algebra workbooks which gave her a nice foundation before she started this very intensive class. AOPS packs all of Algebra 1+ into 16 weeks. The once a week online class works surprisingly well. I thought she/we would miss hearing an instructor's voice, but it actually easier to concentrate without all the noise of intruction/questions/answers. The online class is very engaging; she's been known to laugh out loud at things the instructor says. The instructor posts the answers the students get for problems given during class, but only if they got it right (there is no "penalty" for giving a wrong answer). I usually sit with her during class, and sometimes when she is doing the question database (Alcumus). At this point I mostly am there to remind her to read the question twice, ask "what kind of question is this?" etc. In the beginning, it was a little difficult to have to re-write the problem from the computer screen before she could solve it -- she wanted to do more of it in her head. At this point, I think she's found the happy medium. The textbook is very readable; I highly recommend it. The database gives questions on the topic at hand (generally) at varying difficulty levels. It also gives you a visual representation of how far along you are in each topic.

OP Offline
    Thanks for the feedback herenow! How time intensive is it aside from the once a week class time? And, if you don't mind my asking, what grade/level of math was your daughter in before starting?

I see from previous posts that she did extremely well on achievement tests. DS is grade skipped and then one grade accelerated in math so technically a fourth grade age in fifth grade taking sixth grade math. Trying to get him into something that is challenging and helps further his mathematical thought process - not just teach him formulas to plug numbers into.

I was so happy to read that your DD found the online class engaging!

T
    T
    The actual grade level is irrelevant in my opinion, since each kid has a different level of maturity.

The pace is very fast. There are three categories of assignments -- regular, challenge and web-based Alcumus problems. So it is up to each kid as of how high he/she is willing to reach, and how much time you have. The challenge problem sets are difficult, and the writing-up can take a lot of time, especially for younger kids, but they are the most rewarding part of the class. The book is very readable, with a lot of exercises, but it is a very thick book.

So, the materials are very good, but can be very overwhelming. A delicate balance of parental guidance and child's own independent study needs to be carefully maintained.

OP Offline
    Ooh, good question LittleCherub!

T
    T
    The Alcumus is the same. But the class assigns the focus topics with due date each week (nothing happens if you did not complete by the due date, so it is just an extra kick).

Alcumus problems come at a random draw(from level 1 to level 25, with level 25 roughly at national mathCount).

Challenge sets are a different animal. They are in general more complicated problems that require multiple steps. Students are asked to submit their writings, and the instructors will read them individually and send back their comments.

Last edited by tenBelow; 04/20/11 09:58 AM.
    She is in fifth grade. I think I'd better PM you some of the details. It's a little too drawn out for the forum!

The homework consists of 1-reading the chapter and doing the problems discussed in the text, 2-doing the Alcumus database of questions on topics assigned for each week, 3-completing a set of challenge problems and sending them into AOPS once every four weeks or so, and 4-doing the problems at the end of each chapter. My daughter pretty much does 1,2,3 and has not been doing much of 4. It is hard to estimate how much time it takes, as she will work for 10-30 min, 2-3 times a day.

What else? Oh, well. It's hard. Some of those questions are pretty challenging. I read somewhere that AOPS gives you the nuts and bolts of the subject... and then asks you to build the Taj Mahal. smile She doesn't get them all right. Sometimes on a level 25 question, she will flat out give up. Sometimes Alcumus will give your child a question on material she's never seen before... kind of throws a wrench into things.

You might want to read this note from the website:
    http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Resources/articles.php?page=discretemath
    I wish I had before we started Algebra. I might have chosen a different course (probability or number theory). I am not trying to rush through high school math; we were just trying to find something to challenge her in her favorite subject.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by herenow
    She is in fifth grade. I think I'd better PM you some of the details. It's a little too drawn out for the forum!

PM Away!

Originally Posted by herenow
    You might want to read this note from the website:
    http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Resources/articles.php?page=discretemath

I wish I had before we started Algebra. I might have chosen a different course (probability or number theory). I am not trying to rush through high school math; we were just trying to find something to challenge her in her favorite subject.

Yes, I may rethink this as well. It also eliminates any repetition from the school.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations