Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Houghton Mifflin debuts iPad algebra course
    Boston Globe
    April 14, 2011
    http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2011/04/houghton_miffli_25.html

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, a Boston company known for such educational products as textbooks, said it is launching HMH Fuse: Algebra 1, the first core K-12 education solution developed exclusively for the iPad.

"The portability of a complete Algebra 1 course on an iPad enables students to learn in the classroom, on the bus, or at home � anytime, anywhere," the company said.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which refers to itself as HMH, said its HMH Fuse: Algebra 1 App will be available at the Apple App store for $59.99.

<rest of article at link>

More details are at http://hmheducation.com/fuse/algebra1/algebra-1-apps.php . I wonder if 5-10 years from now, reading books and taking courses using tablet computers will be not just a possibility but the norm. I'm in no rush to buy laptops or tablets for my children, since more time would probably be spent on video games than math courses.

Another article about the algebra app is at http://mindshift.kqed.org/2011/01/algebra-meet-the-ipad-a-year-long-study-explores-learning/ . The professor giving lectures on the app is Ed Burger, who is in the Thinkwell algebra videos. The excerpt below indicates that the app is not "adaptive", as EPGY or Aleks are. I would love to have EPGY on a tablet. I think adaptivity is important.

'Q. Is there an adaptive aspect to this app, where students can progress to another level?

Right now, this follows identically to the student textbook. It�s adaptive only inasmuch as when the student takes an �are you ready quiz� before a chapter, students can see for themselves how they did in each of the subsections of the test, as can the teacher. Everything the student does in the device from a quizzing and assessment standpoint flows back to the teacher wirelessly. The app sends the data back to the instructor, what section they did well on, what they didn�t do well on. So a teacher has a lot more real-time data on student instruction. But as far as adaptive, actually changing the instruction, no the app doesn�t do that yet. But certainly the technology is out there. A different conversation happens then in terms of your goals.'

Last edited by Bostonian; 04/16/11 04:15 AM.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    L
    L
    A long time ago, on another message board, someone who had a disability similar to my son's wrote that we would learn that technology is our friend. Yes, it definitely is.

My son is able to continue learning when his back or head hurts or when he is in his nighttime only brace that must be worn when lying down. Portability is a big help for us which is why the iPad and netbook and iPhone are a required educational expense for us.

We really liked the elements app and would like to see more things like that. I would like to see more educational apps.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Houghton Mifflin debuts iPad algebra course
    Boston Globe
    April 14, 2011
    http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2011/04/houghton_miffli_25.html

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, ipad2 stand a Boston company known for such educational products as textbooks, said it is launching HMH Fuse: Algebra 1, the first core K-12 education solution developed exclusively for the iPad.

"The portability of a complete Algebra 1 course on an iPad enables students to learn in the classroom, on the bus, or at home � anytime, anywhere," the company said.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which refers to itself as HMH, said its HMH Fuse: Algebra 1 App will be available at the Apple App store for $59.99.

<rest of article at link>

More details are at http://hmheducation.com/fuse/algebra1/algebra-1-apps.php .ipad 2 keyboard dock I wonder if 5-10 years from now, reading books and taking courses using tablet computers will be not just a possibility but the norm. I'm in no rush to buy laptops or tablets for my children, since more time would probably be spent on video games than math courses.

Another article about the algebra app is at http://mindshift.kqed.org/2011/01/algebra-meet-the-ipad-a-year-long-study-explores-learning/ . The professor giving lectures on the app is Ed Burger, who is in the Thinkwell algebra videos. The excerpt below indicates that the app is not "adaptive", as EPGY or Aleks are. I would love to have EPGY on a tablet. I think adaptivity is important.

'Q. Is there an adaptive aspect to this app, where students can progress to another level?

Right now, this follows identically to the student textbook. It�s adaptive only inasmuch as when the student takes an �are you ready quiz� before a chapter, students can see for themselves how they did in each of the subsections of the test, as can the teacher. Everything the student does in the device from a quizzing and assessment standpoint flows back to the teacher wirelessly. The app sends the data back to the instructor, what section they did well on, what they didn�t do well on. So a teacher has a lot more real-time data on student instruction. But as far as adaptive, actually changing the instruction, no the app doesn�t do that yet. But certainly the technology is out there. A different conversation happens then in terms of your goals.'

A long time ago, ipad2 keyboard caseson another message board, someone who had a disability similar to my son's wrote that we would learn that technology is our friend. Yes, it definitely is.

Last edited by Simmelink; 06/16/11 07:58 PM.
    N
    N
    Can I assume that this would work on an IPod Touch if it's an app? Has anyone tried it?

yes, can we assume that??

C
    C
    Don't assume, verify. Some apps are iPad only.

Philip Stone
    C
    C
    I just verified at the App Store > Requirements: Compatible with iPad. Requires iOS3.2 or later

Philip Stone
    T
    T
    This board has a such a cool feature! When you click to notify about spam, it tells you they've already been notified.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM