Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    J
    I think undiagnosed hearing loss is alot more common than people realize. I'm a physician and took my son to the doctor constantly, yet his unilateral hearing loss was totally undetected until I asked for an audiology exam.
    The whole experience bothered me so much that I have organized for 2 years now free preschool hearing testing in my area. Last year, we tested 160 4 and 5 years old (all had hearing tests at the doctor's, all had health insurance). We found that 10% had previously undiagnosed hearing loss- most of these kids had speech problems.
    If you can't hear, it can make you inattentive; ADD/ADHD. I have always wondered how many kids with "ADD/ADHD" really have a subtle hearing loss. HTH.

D
    dagobbz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    thank you again everyone. I am going to make an audiology appointment as soon as I can get a good recommendation. I"m extremely picky with the people that see my children (we have had some horrible experiences with 'professionals').

Originally Posted by dagobbz
    Grinity, thank you too! Yes the 2E teacher has experience with gifted kids across the board, she's probably the only person we've worked closely with who truly gets it, and the issues we have as an gifted-Aspie family smile She also teaches dyslexic kids, and kids with other LDs and again has firsthand knowledge because of her own family, which is why she is passionate about it all.
    What a relief. As you mentioned later, 'professionals' can be quite damaging at times, and do need to be heavily screened.

We are in Australia, so I'm not sure what DYS is smile
    Sorry blush DYS is short for Davidson Young Scholar program, and only open to folks in the U.S. My bad!

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Q
    Q
    I have sent you a PM.

There are some similarities between your child and my daughter.
    Her current diagnosis is apraxia.

Have you looked at apraxia at all? If not, I'd recommend at least looking into that.

There is also some overlap with apraxia/asperger's, in regards to some of the 'soft' signs of apraxia, such as the potential for sensory items.

My daughter does NOT fit all the signs of apraxia, but when diagnosed, they did explain to me that apraxia is a spectrum.

Tammy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent