Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #98782 04/06/11 06:15 AM
    A
    aly Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Hello,
    I cannot find any local summer camps specifically for gifted children. Are there any alternatives available for a 6 and 8 year old? Perhaps online options? I would not use this the whole summer but it might be good for a couple of weeks.
    Thank you

aly #98793 04/06/11 09:23 AM
    Val Online Content
    Online Content
    Is this what your kids want? Are they complaining about lack of peers and/or asking for online camps?

I think of summer as a time to run around and have a lot of unstructured time. It seems a shame to spend two weeks of it sitting in front of a computer.

YMMV.

Val

Val #98797 04/06/11 10:32 AM
    A
    aly Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    The kids are spending 5 weeks in the summer travelling around Europe and the US. However, while at home, I would like to find some camps for them. Some of these will be sports based. They, the older one in particular, are always searching for more information. They have been to the science center camps in the past but these have become somewhat repetitive so I was looking for alternatives. I would not expect them to sit online for hours a day but it would be nice for them to have the option of signing up somewhere for a few hours a day.
    I have seen some great camps in other parts of the country where, for example, kids can learn to program computer games. My DS8 would love that. I thought maybe something like that might be available online.

aly #98800 04/06/11 11:08 AM
    M
    M
    Northwestern's Gifted Learning Links porgram has summer enrichment classes online, including programming and gaming, those classes are for 6th graders. There are several online summer courses for different age groups, check their website. Duke TIP has online classes, they are listed on their website.

aly #98802 04/06/11 11:30 AM
    It's not computer programing, but look at (google) "Tufts Sam", might be a fun summer computer project. Stop motion animation. Nice gallery there too. Check out the cow pooping video- thumbs up!

Also look at "supercharged science". They have an online summer camp. They said, "challenge your kids with hassle-free science camp, right in your own back yard.". Haven't done the summer camp, but her other classes and projects are fun.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    aly #99304 04/11/11 06:14 PM
    O
    O
    My DS10 has done SCRATCH and Pivot animation studio and Lego Stop animation video with editing program. These might be fun in the summer. I don't think these would be to hard for your children. They might just need a little help getting started.
    Let us know how it all works out. Have Fun.

aly #99512 04/14/11 09:31 AM
    V
    V
    JHU CTY offers online programs . Your kid has to take the SCAT exam and get the required score to enroll in these programs .

EPGY online classes (Stanford)

S
    S
    You could try the MASA summer camp, which is a math and science summer camp held at Trinity Prep, specifically for advanced kids, although they only have programs two weeks out of the summer. There is also a Destination Science camp that meets at a few places around Orlando. I have not been to either one yet, but I know people who have been to both and thought highly of them.

http://www.destinationscience.org/
    http://www.masaflorida.org/

We are mostly doing the science center camps (my son is too young to notice the repetitiveness so far), some sports camps, and a drama camp.

www.superchargedscience.com does a summer camp every year online. It is lots of fun and stresses hands-on activities.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Y
    yvonnemommy
    Unregistered
    yvonnemommy
    Unregistered
    Y
    Maybe you want to check beestar. I really like DD to join some enrichment programs. Summer vocation is great time. I prefer to keep a balance between preparing for school and have fun in summer vocation. smile DD�s teacher sent us to this cool website beestar for free math program. The summer session is cool, full of all real life world problems, challenging stuff to help kids thinking. We use it every year. DD enjoys it. grin
    Lisa

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM