Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #99405 04/12/11 08:09 PM
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    I'm a newbie, so please be gentle!

We had my DD6 tested when she was 3y7m because we realized that she had learned how to read before her 3rd birthday and we were under the mistaken assumption that if we had her tested resources would become available. That test was the SB5. Anyway, she was recently re-tested using the WISC IV as part of her schools gifted program. I was surprised by the change in scores and was wondering if anyone could give me some insight.

SB5
    FSIQ

WISC IV
    GAI
    VCI
    PRI

We're thinking of applying for DYS but the school district doesn't provide full reports, just the scores. I do have a full report from the SB5 test but the scores weren't high and it's 2.5 years old.

Is it unusual to see a jump like that in scores? Should I include the SB5 report in the DYS application? Will they accept only the WISC IV scores without a full report? We do have the WJ III scheduled in about one month and we're trying to put together a portfolio as well.

Those of you who've been down the path before - what are your thoughts?

Last edited by LumberJill; 02/10/15 09:10 PM.
    You have to include all the scores from every blessed test. They understand. It may be that the SB5 does qualify from having a high subscore or two. Anyway it's normal for the scores to bounce around a bit - the tests really weren't created to handle kids with this sort of LOG. The fact that she was reading before the 3rd birthday is also an important supporting milestone.

I wouldn't give up so quickly on getting the WISC scores - simply get a meeting to sit down with the GC or Principle or school psychologist, and provide an envelope to mail directly to Davidson after signing a release form, in case they just don't want YOU to see the scores. In any case, I think if the school writes a letter stating the scores as you have, and that they refuse to give out any more report details, and send that to DYS that that will cover it.

I will say that it's much more usual to see scores drop from age 3 to age 6, as the late bloomers blossom and catch up. Therefore, don't distrust the WISC numbers.

My advice, start giving out those reference forms, fill out the application, send in what you have for portfolio and whatever letter you get get out of the school, and have everything ready to mail as soon as you get the WJ scores.

As a group we have a tendency towards perfectionism. Some parents have taken 3 years to complete their application. Don't err on that side. The process is fluid, and they seem more likely to ask for more than to say a flat out no.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Under the FERPA laws, you have a right to your child's record, including test and subtest scores. Here is a letter I have successfully used to review/get copies of my child's records. I would send this letter if they do not respond to your phone calls or more casual requests. Under FERPA, they have 45 days to comply.
    To: Name, Principal
    Name of school
    Address

RE: student name

Dear Principal Name:

I would like to set up a time within the next 10 school days to review all of the personally identifiable information collected, maintained or used in regard to my son name�s educational planning. This would include all r tests, reports, assessments, grades, teacher or staff notes and observations, memoranda, photographs � in short everything in my child�s school file(s).

I understand that I have a right to these files under FERPA. I would like to have prearranged access to a photocopier to make copies of selected records. I understand that you may charge a reasonable copying fee.

Please provide me with 3 possible times for the records review. If you keep student name records in more than one location, such as a regular school file at name of school and a special education file at District offices, please offer times for each of the locations. You can contact me by phone at (tel) or by e-mail at (address) with the potential dates.

Thank you for your assistance,

Sincerely,

Name
    Address
    Tel (work, home, cell)

Cc: Classroom teacher

Originally Posted by mich
    Under the FERPA laws, you have a right to your child's record, including test and subtest scores. Here is a letter I have successfully used to review/get copies of my child's records.
    Go Mich!!! Thanks for sharing the polite but assertive letter.
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Good letter.

And sometimes just a casual mention of FERPA in a phone call will also do the trick, especially if you don't really care about seeing all of the rest of the file. I believe however, that it only applies to public schools, and I wasn't sure if you were in private or public.

Principal: "Oh no, we can't provide any additional information, the school psychologist's report is kept confidential."

You: "Oh, maybe I misunderstood, but I was almost positive that under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act all testing information had to be shared with me. Maybe you want to check with the district on that, or I can check with my brother in law who does education law in Poughkeepsie..."

Cat

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks for the sample letter - that's a great one to have in the back pocket should it come down to that!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent