Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 313 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    J
    Thank you for posting this. The details ARE really helpful!

L
    L
    Thanks for taking the time to post all this info. But i have to ask where is this school. I see that you mentioned NYS regents. We live on Long Island, in one of the so call better school districts. We are having a hard time getting any support for our AS son who is heading to 6th grade next year. MY wife and I just don't know what to do. After 4 yrs of working with the school and IEP team we had a meeting in Oct with the team and they stated our son is doing great. He is meeting all his goals on his IEP even in organization. 3 weeks later for this parent teacher meeting his regular teacher states "he organization is terrible his work is not organized and she does not know how he will manage the transition to 6th grade." We want to find a different school for our son.

Originally Posted by Las1
    After 4 yrs of working with the school and IEP team we had a meeting in Oct with the team and they stated our son is doing great. He is meeting all his goals on his IEP even in organization. 3 weeks later for this parent teacher meeting his regular teacher states "he organization is terrible his work is not organized and she does not know how he will manage the transition to 6th grade." We want to find a different school for our son.
    How heartbreaking!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    bk1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by eldertree
    Zowie!
    Two things come to mind-- I'm glad he's having a good year, and that was an amazingly well-structured post.

Why, thank you! I'm happy it was helpful and apparently not rambling!

B
    bk1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    There is just one ASD-NEST middle school program in NYC, in District 15 in Brooklyn. A second school with an ASD-NEST program is going to open in southwestern Queens next year.

I think the success of the school will depend on the folks hired to run it. The principal at my son's school hired some great teachers. If you are looking at privates, I have heard that the Learning Springs program in Manhattan is a good program for kids with Asperger's.

There are some great books that help with organizational issues, like Smart But Scattered, that could help you figure out what tasks he need helps with and how to break it down into manageable, changeable bits.

You can then thry to get some of theat incorporated into his IEP. And what kind of an IEP and IEP meeting is this? Your son's teacher should have been present at the IEP meeting, and they should have checked with her before reportign that organization was going well! She is supposed to be at the IEP meeting!

BK1

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs