Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    V
    Verona Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    I've seen Sylvia Rimm's work on underachievement mentioned several times here. I had a look at her website, and there seem to be a lot of different books, workbooks, cassettes, etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I'm thinking of purchasing the book (why smart kids get poor grades) or the work-book (causes and cures for underachievement, or something like that).

I took her short on-line quiz, and confirmed that I have a "dominant underachiever" on my hands in DS11 (which I pretty much knew, but didn't have a name for it).

She's got a fair number of research papers out there in cyberspace if you look. I'd take a look at some of that (including over at Hoagie's) and see how you like her style.

I've run across a lot of her work in my search through perfectionist literature.

HTH.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by Verona
    I've seen Sylvia Rimm's work on underachievement mentioned several times here. I had a look at her website, and there seem to be a lot of different books, workbooks, cassettes, etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I'm thinking of purchasing the book (why smart kids get poor grades)

I took her short on-line quiz, and confirmed that I have a "dominant underachiever" on my hands in DS11 (which I pretty much knew, but didn't have a name for it).

I like the book why smart kids get poor grades and would recommend it. It's information packed, but tends to have a 'blame the parents' slant which I think is probably very appropriate for 'regular bright' and 'regular gifted' - however, on page 274, she notes that even excellent parenting can still yield this problems if the classroom fit is so very poor.

So if you can hold in mind that irony while you read, I would say that lots of excellent information can be had. And you certianly don't want to make any innocent parenting mistakes, so it's nice to know what the common pitfalls are.

But please don't go on a self-blamathon while you read it. I know I did until page 274.

Even though I really enjoyed the depth of information in the book, and it told me what NOT to do, I didn't feel like it gave me the full picture of what TO do, once I got the school fit problem sorted out. For that I really liked 'Transforming the Difficult Child Workbook' by Lisa Bravo and Howard Glasser.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    V
    Verona Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Thanks Grinity and HK.

Grinity - I am a master at self-blame, so maybe I shouldn't read this book! Even the short "check lists" on her website started worrying me . . . does your child have a perfectionist parent (yes, me), was your child given too much attention in the first years (yes, from me), etc, etc.

I am looking more for what TO do.

I have the "Transforming the Difficult Child Workbook" (which has been probably the most helpful parenting book I've read yet, and even DH read large parts of it).

I know that a bad school fit and probably some 2E are the biggest issues. He will have complete neuropsych. testing at the end of the month, so I'm hoping the 2E becomes clearer.

For school I really don't have a good solution. I asked DS what he would like to learn at school. He said: biology, law and creative writing. Doesn't sound like grade 6.

Originally Posted by Verona
    For school I really don't have a good solution. I asked DS what he would like to learn at school. He said: biology, law and creative writing. Doesn't sound like grade 6.
    Actually it does sound quite a bit like my son's summer camp, which starts in 7th grade, see:

http://cty.jhu.edu/summer/catalogs/is/iscatalog.html

My son took a class in consitutional law his first trip there, and loved it! The point is that with a summer camp experience that really rocks their world, you can 'keep hope alive' throughout the school year.

(My son's 7th grade private school did biology also.)

Good luck with the testing and keep rocking the positive with 'Transforming!'

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

So would you recommend this book to the parent of a 4.5 year old that is already showing signs of underachievement?

I definitely gave him too much attention, as he is the oldest by 4 years. smile

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    Originally Posted by Amber
    So would you recommend this book to the parent of a 4.5 year old that is already showing signs of underachievement?

I definitely gave him too much attention, as he is the oldest by 4 years. smile
    I think it's a very good book, IF you can modulate the self-blame trap.
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Thank you!

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    V
    Verona Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Actually it does sound quite a bit like my son's summer camp, which starts in 7th grade, see:

http://cty.jhu.edu/summer/catalogs/is/iscatalog.html

Good luck with the testing

Ahh, I wish there was a summer camp like that in my area! I'm hoping for good things from grade 7, but we have to get through grade 6 next year. . .

Thanks for the luck -- I'm nervous about the testing. What we might find, what we might not find, how DS will react, if we will like the neuropsychologist etc. DH and I have an intake appointment on April 28. gulp.

A
    A
    There are summer camps like that through regional and university-based talent searches all over the country.

This listing might be helpful.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs