Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
    J
    J
    We got our Feb scores too. We did it last year also - most of the scores were similar, but Science dropped from 98 to 90th percentile. Obviously still a great score - I'm just wondering if I should read anything into it, or think oh, just a bad testing day......

M
    M
    Interesting...ds's scores all improved from last year except science which dropped a couple points. Of course, when I was pondering why he did admit to being bored and ancy by the time he got to the science section and so he didn't soncentrate/try as hard.

I too am puzzling over scores. While the composite remained the same, two scores decreased and one increased, off-setting the decrease. DS said he felt this test was harder than last year. We are HSing so I'm not sure what to make of this if anything....

M
    M
    Comparing the NUMATS summary for 2010 to the one for 2011, I think the test may have been a little harder this year.

J
    J
    Is the summary out already for 2011? I'd love to see that if you were able to point me somewhere!

:-)

M
    M
    If you have done NUMATS before, did you find their Planning and Resource Guide helpful?

Originally Posted by MidwestMom
    Comparing the NUMATS summary for 2010 to the one for 2011, I think the test may have been a little harder this year.

Where is the summary for 2011?

OP Offline
    The director of our talent search said that historically the numbers stay very even from year to year. So one would not expect large shifts. I wouldn't worry about changes in %, especially if you started high. Say a kid gets 22 of 25 right in science (I'm just making this up) in 3rd grade. The next year, there isn't a lot of space to improve, but other kids will start to catch up, so your % will likely shift some. I am not facile with statistics, so not sure if this is accurate, but it makes sense to me.

C
    C
    I'm not sure that most of us are talking about shifts in percentiles. My dd, for instance, dropped a number of raw points on science and went up the same # of points on math from the year prior. That is her actually answering fewer questions correctly on one part than the year prior in that one area. For example, and these aren't her actual scores, but it would be like a child getting a 19 on reading one year and then a 15 the next.

In her case, she may have been fuzzy headed since she had a fever I didn't realize until I picked her up, though. She is also an erratic little person, so who knows.

M
    M
    I know I'm referring to raw points, not percentiles. All of ds's scores improved 3-4 raw points except science went down 2 points. Ds says he wasn't trying as hard by the end of the test, but maybe this section was also more difficult from last year--who knows.

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM