Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #98333 03/31/11 09:15 AM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Frannie (7 and 1st grade) took the CogAT in Jaunary. Test results (according to district website) are due BY April.. so that would mean I should have test results today. This is the test they use for gifted services. There is a magnet school program which starts in 3rd grade. For this they take the Wisc in second grade with the program starting in third grade. Frannie is receiving services already through reading and math (3 times week for 90 minutes)enrichment pullouts. Her teacher already wrote the recommendations for Northwestern's summer program.

So here I sit today..knowing my reg mail carrier is on vacation and the mail comes very late due to this...

F
    F
    Also just as a back up...My kiddo took the cogat three times and never made the cut for the gifted program....It took testing by someone who got "gifted" before we got the scores. When we got those scores I decided that ohhh we must have got what we paid for. (She has consistently been working three years or more above grade level since we moved her to a charter school in fourth grade. I think they call it gt denial.) So I had her take the SAT figuring that she would be a number and no one would care what she scored... Her SAT scores were in line with her private gifted IQ testing. Just a little story to keep in the palm of your hand in case those darn COGAT scores don't show what you know your kiddo can do. Keep believing in yourself anyways!

F
    OP Offline
    F
    LOL Dottie.. the website states the WISC scores will be delivered by the end of April.... we shall see when the results will arrive.

On another note... ,y son is on the waiting list for both the Math & Science academy and the Chinese Immersion programs. God help his kindergarten teacher if he is in a regular school. He completes Frannnie's homework now. Kinder isn't required in our state but our district will not allow early entry and frowns on grade skips. Frannie's teacher is helping us advocate for him as she sees him with her class on the days I help out. He sits with the math enrichment kids I work with and tries (most times successfully) the project.

Thanks
    Sheila

flower #98370 03/31/11 01:14 PM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by flower
    Just a little story to keep in the palm of your hand in case those darn COGAT scores don't show what you know your kiddo can do. Keep believing in yourself anyways!

Such a great point, I had to reply. So many things that we as parents can see in our kids, that testing might not be able to show.

Drago's Mom

Drago - age 8, male, something else in a funny way!
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    I called the district office.. test results haven't been released yet. So here we wait till the end of the month

F
    OP Offline
    F
    results are in.....she just missed the cutoff. SO now what? Do I look for private testing? How do I find someone who wont break the bank?

Right now she is pulled out for both math and reading. Will the school stop next year in second grade?

ughhhh
    thanks,
    Sheila

Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    results are in.....she just missed the cutoff. SO now what?
    Sheila
    Ug!!!
    This was the CogAT? or the WISC? It there a gifted coordinator you can call and ask for a meeting. It may be that with 'just missed' plus a parent 'calmly and confidently' suggesting that their child really really needs the services, plus the support of the classroom teacher that may enough - and you wouldn't need testing at all.

Other possibility is that the school will do the WISC now with no additional charge.

If not, then check with Gifted Corrdinator to see if she/he has any leads as far as who is reasonably priced and good with bright kids. Find out which tests are acceptable to the school - no point in hiring a tester to do 'SB-V' for example, if the school only accepts WISC, for example.

The CogAT really isn't a good test for finding gifted kids.
    Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Grinity..
    The results we have are CogAT. The school does the wisc in January of grade 2. The district we are in has a magnet program that starts in grade 3. They use wisc to qualify for the magnet.

Grinity #99872 04/20/11 02:14 PM
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    It may be that with 'just missed' plus a parent 'calmly and confidently' suggesting that their child really really needs the services, plus the support of the classroom teacher that may enough - and you wouldn't need testing at all.
    So do you think that the CG would let DD slide in? Or ask the school tester to do the WISC early?
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I'm confused. Is the CogAT for continuation of your DD's services when she goes to 2nd? And then she will test again next year for the 3rd grade using the WISC? I think if she's already getting pullouts, the school should see that she shouldn't all of a sudden not need them based on how she did on one test one day. Is she doing well in the pullouts?

Also, I have heard many stories of HG+ kids doing poorly on the CogAT - it seems better suited to ID MG kids, but misses many HG+ kids for some reason.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM