Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
    <3

(That's a heart, BTW, EandCMom. I always think it looks like someone mooning everyone...which might work, too, in this instance, now that I think of it, but I did intend it to be a heart!)

Kriston
    Sorry, Dottie, but that just sounds like GT denial to me. See, that's exactly what I'd say about your DS right now--sounds so far beyond mine, beyond my imagination, etc.

Denial, denial, denial!

Kriston
    K
    K
    I agree Dottie! Let go of that denial already!

LOL!

The data thing had me laughing about as hard as the Stephen Hawking thing! laugh

Kriston
    K
    K
    ROFL! I'm glad your DS's self esteem isn't suffering due to your denial or lack of data!

acs Offline
    I do know level 5 kids and adults. DS is a level 4, I believe. But 5's are different. DS could easily handle college at 12, but the 5's seem to need college by 12- just can't be happy if their brain isn't being fed at that level. I have a relative who graduated college at 18 or so. He went on to get Multiple advanced degrees in unrelated subjects and is still respected in multiple fields and heading important research projects into his 80's. His brain is just flying all the time, even when just planning dinner or walking around the neighborhood, you can tell he's on a different level.

I think I have produced level 5.
    Learning how to adjust:-)
    If only I had known as much as I do now when he was 2 years old and running around the coffee table - and everybody in the room thinking he was CRAZY!
    His brain is flying! Last night he stayed up until midnight to test his science project in our cold, unfinished basement. He is still only 12 years old!
    As I write this words he is at the scout meeting, trying to convince his fellow troop members to attend next week city council meeting where he is going to speak about the dog park issue.
    HELP!!! Whoa all the way here. Even school does see it now. I should make another thread about science projects this child is able to produce. Last year he had all the judging engineers at his display, yet they did not believe him the project was of his making!

acs Offline
    You know, Ania, when you mentioned his ACT score, I was sort of wondering if maybe he was a 5!!! I think Ruf says that often the difference between levels is intesity (rather than just ability) and I think your guy is way more intense than mine. Hold on; I think it's going to be quite a ride.

Hold on; I think it's going to be quite a ride.

Honestly, I am not looking forwad to it!
    I am old enough and have been through enough to know what it means!
    And talking about levels of intensity! All my friends have always commented how intense I was. But I can't compare with DS.
    Two math clubs, violin, piano, scouts, vice-president of SB, NJHS, tutoring,fencing,playing in church every Sunday,religion classes,AoPS classes,skiing and snowboarding every weekend, foreign language. I myself do not have time for this and his energy is driving me CRAZY!!!
    I have made a promise to myself that we are done with testing. He pretty much tops the celing in everything. We have not appliled to DYS, as I can't see this changing anything.He has been watching movies in Spanish last week, his THIRD language at 12.
    I accomodate all of this, but for how much longer?

acs Offline
    Yeah, that sure sounds like the 5's I know.

I know that 5's are rare even in DYS, but there certainly are some and I bet you'd know another 5 as soon as you saw him/her. It might be really cool to actually meet another family with similar issues. And nice for your son, too. I once had a chance to introduce two 5's to each other--it was like magic, instant chemistry. One 5 friend said that it wasn't until grad school that she met another person who thought like her and that was when she first started to like herself. Up until that point she felt like she was just "too" different. Seems like DYS might be your best bet for making those kinds of connections.

I guess the other DYS benefit is help in figuring out how you are going to accomodate his needs--it sounds like sometime soon it might be time for a change of stategy.

Last edited by acs; 02/26/08 11:11 PM.
    Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs