Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by knute974
    I don't mean to hijack the discussion but I have a related question for all of you Handwriting Without Tears advocates. How do you know which level is appropriate for your kid? The ones I saw on Amazon were marked kindergarten, 1st, etc. Assuming that my DD is at one of these lower grade levels with her printing, how do I get her to "go back" to those levels. Has anyone just skipped the printing books and gone to the cursive ones? My DD definitely finds cursive to be easier than printing.
    Go to the website and and scroll around - it's fairly helpful
    We started with Can-Do Print
    Price: $7.50 Code: DP Grade: Gr. 5

Can-Do Print is for fifth graders or older students who prefer print to cursive, but still need practice.
    Download Sample Page

It's all the same stuff, but for Printing 'Can-Do' presents itself in a less 'babyish' manner, which was important for DS.

Enjoy,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #97326 03/19/11 07:58 PM
    OP Offline
    Well, we ordered the Handwriting Without Tears book. I'll post again when we've tried it out for awhile. Hope it works!

In the meantime, DS7 had a book report to do today. Since it wasn't for spelling, we decided we'd let him type it if he wanted. Much less stressful for the parents! He still complained about doing it, but that's another story. No crying, anyway! And he liked signing his name in a fancy font.

J
    J
    We too are having handwriting woes with my youngest frown It seems different this time around. Not sure what worked with DD9 will work with DD6. With my nine year old, I did find MyAccess to be helpful in terms of giving us a structure in which to practice essay writing. I also found a creative writing course over the holidays to be a wonderful way of focusing on story threads and making 'writing' seem much less like a chore and something more akin to painting a picture.

I've just discovered "The Word Spy" and "The Return of the Word Spy" which are really lovely grammar books. They're really quite complimentary with the maths we're doing at the moment ie., palindromes. The books are probably quite suitable for say 6-10 year olds (?)

I've found with DD6 - who isn't sure she wants help just yet - that giving her access to exactly the right type of pen and paper is really important. Some of the dotted line paper is just overwhelming for someone with poor perceptual positioning and she just can't work out where she's supposed to put her letters! So playing around with the basic tools of the trade can really help.

Hope you have some luck with HWT. Would love to get your feedback on this...

jojo

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader