Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Originally Posted by Susan@BelinBlank
    The "research" potential from these items will never be realized because of this issue.

It just seems like such a waste. Under different circumstances we would probably be the parents first in line to help with these topics. I would venture to say that most of us are highly appreciative of the Talent Searches and the opportunities they give to our children. Most of us have read enough research to understand how important the local questions were that you asked our children. We get it. This is valuable research, and it could directly impact our children.

herenow #97027 03/16/11 08:16 AM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by herenow
    Under different circumstances we would probably be the parents first in line to help with these topics. I would venture to say that most of us are highly appreciative of the Talent Searches and the opportunities they give to our children. Most of us have read enough research to understand how important the local questions were that you asked our children. We get it. This is valuable research, and it could directly impact our children.
    I agree with this completely and I am sure that it is hard for Dr. Assouline to post here since I know that we're picking posts apart. This a bright bunch of parents, though, and I think trust between parents and the talent searches has been seriously breached at this point, unfortunately.

I know that I've been outspoken here but I am trying to be reasonable. I'm not advertising this issue elsewhere. I am worried about ramifications for my dds and I am not sure if we'll have dd10 participate in talent search in middle school as a result. Dd12 will be in high school next year, so it's a moot point for her.

LDmom #97225 03/18/11 01:20 PM
    C
    C
    I had a reassuring conversation with Numats earlier this week. They got back to me right away. I would urge others to call them if they are concerned about the questionaire.

Warning: sleep deprived
    LDmom #98023 03/28/11 10:43 AM
    C
    C
    Just a quick update --

I've been asked not to reference specific individuals with whom I've communicated, but I've been informed that all of the talent search programs that participate in EXPLORE had a conference call with ESTS last week and that they have jointly decided to cease administering the "local items" survey next year. They will all still be offering the EXPLORE.

LDmom #98933 04/07/11 09:31 AM
    I'm trying to figure out the level of math which is on the Explore test. I know it is administered to 8th graders, but exactly what does that mean in terms of the typical math progression. I am guessing pre-algebra, but maybe I'm way off....

The description on the website is pretty vague.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

Last edited by herenow; 04/07/11 09:34 AM.
    herenow #99217 04/10/11 09:20 PM
    according to my ds8 who took EXPLORE in February, math has a couple of algebra questions.

Originally Posted by herenow
    I'm trying to figure out the level of math which is on the Explore test. I know it is administered to 8th graders, but exactly what does that mean in terms of the typical math progression. I am guessing pre-algebra, but maybe I'm way off....

The description on the website is pretty vague.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader