Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    I need a crash course in what children should/should not do if creating websites.

Using names, first and last

Creating websites that host national advertsing and how do we know the advertsing will stay appropriate.

Public posting to kid created website - how do we know the conversation will stay appropriate.

Content posted by children - if a child is doing this, how can Stories and pictures stay appropriate

I love the idea of a group of kids getting together on a kid created website and adding to it. But, how can this be kept appropriate?

Well, (donning web administrator hat for a moment) if by "kid" you mean a child under the age of thirteen, it is PROBABLY forbidden in the first place by the web-host.

There are special rules about what constitutes an "age of consent" under US federal law, anyway. This is the underlying reason why most public websites specifically prohibit use by anyone under the age of 13. Kids that young CANNOT use the web without specific parental supervision and approval.

My daughter is highly internet savvy, and I will say that this has been an on-going problem for her and her friends.

That is, they love having websites devoted to special interests, but the problem is that it is all technically illegal for many of them because of their ages, and you're right-- anything "free" is also loaded with advertising and probably spyware/spam as well.

One tactic that they've used is to manage a message board which has fairly tight privacy settings. That way, (as in some Yahoo groups) the conversations are completely private (well, as private as anything is in cyberspace) and only INVITED members can join, by asking the site Administrator for permission.

Other cautions for kids on-line:

Never share "personally identifiable" information.

This is a large and nebulous definition. With kids that have trouble with non-literal interpretations, this is a big stumbling block. Location, for example, is something which can be discovered a variety of ways:

a) FB style "updates" in real time can lead someone to easily determine your time zone, and from there, small snippets of daily information (about weather conditions, school schedules, etc) can provide more and more details about absolute location.

b) IP addressing. Just because YOU don't see it appear associated with a visit to a website? Don't believe for an INSTANT that it is private to everyone else. At the very least, the website administrator knows where you are via IP tracking.

HTH!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    The kids I'm referring to are under 13 and have already created a website. Where do I find the law or rules?

I definitely need to get more educated on this. Where do I start?

Last edited by onthegomom; 03/18/11 02:04 PM.
    M
    M
    here is the information about it,
    http://business.ftc.gov/privacy-and-security/children%E2%80%99s-online-privacy

I'm a big proponent of education, so I'll dig out a few resources for you to take a look at:

Microsoft's "Teach Kids Online Security"

and also

Age-appropriate tips for Online Safety

Both provide some great starting points for developing a family AUP (Acceptable Use Policy) or "contract" that your child(ren) will have to abide by in internet use in order to retain the privileges they want.

The Pew Research Center has a few useful things, as well (and some of those discuss federal law):

Facebook Users who are underage raise concerns

"Protecting Teens Online" report

Finally, the laws themselves and what they mean for providers of internet services:

COPPA, (which would apply more broa...site intended for users younger than 13)

And just in case you were thinking that the FTC isn't serious about enforcement:

Wikipedia entry for COPPA.
    (Check out the list of companies that have been charged with violations! Wow.)

The important thing to note about COPPA is that most third-party hosting sites must ALSO obey it, which means that 'free' webhosting services will almost certainly not allow content intended for users under 13. (The site that I help to run has this problem, actually-- because we are hosted for free, we have to abide by our web-host's ToS.) Collecting IP addressing information or cookies either one may be considered "personally identifying" information.

That should definitely get you started!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Here this thread is. I got this email about smart phone gps embedded in every picture taken on your phone. I just think it's strange, not really as scary so much. I might feel different if my baby's were teenagers talking online.

Just wanted to post this here.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM