Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #96872 03/14/11 03:13 PM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    So dd10's Explore scores would qualify for DYS, but I would be very surprised if the WISC score would make it. But--maybe I am underestimating her? Honestly though compared to what I read here about the kids who qualify--I would be very surprised. I am planning on doing the WISC at some point before we move (could be by the end of this school year, prob. by end of next), but wondering if I should start working on it now. And if I want the most accurate scores I guess I need to really find someone who specializes in gifted kids, which again we don't have here.

We will be driving right past Johns Hopkins this summer--is it worth it to try to schedule her and pay the big bucks there?

Thanks for any feedback.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Just re-read, and realized they only need to be 99.9% in one section--so maybe it is a possibility. hmmmmm...Is there anyone who really thought their kid was MG/OG who turned out to qualify for DYS?

M
    M
    I've not applied for DYS for DD on the same reasoning. While her Explore qualifies, I don't think the Explore thresholds are really at the 99.9 level. Based on the aggregate data from NUMATS, the cutoffs seem to be set in the 75-90 range. This is of NUMATS participants of course, so the numbers would be much higher vs. the general population, but I suspect not THAT much higher.

Originally Posted by Dottie
    Typically, if both parents are gifted, and come from families of GT, chances are their yardsticks have been out of calibration for so long, they don't know HG+ when they see it, and possibly suspect most of the world of being slow, wink .
    Yup, what Dottie said! We are better than schoolteacher at guessing gifted, but not that much better....I figured my son was MG, although I didn't know the word for it just then - I though he was 'bright/like the rest of us in the family/certainly gifted but why won't he just accept that elementary school is supposed to be easy?'
    I think JHU is a good choice (unless you are also passing within 4 hours of Lexington Kentucky, that is)

smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    J
    I think you also know too, DDs often don't "show" giftedness in standard ways that boys do. If there is a tester who understands gifted girls, even better.

M
    M
    I'm in the same situation with my DD (4th grade). I've always thought she was MG, but her Explore scores qualify her for DYS. So, I'm now debating whether or not we should seek out IQ testing. I'm not sure her scores would be high enough because she doesn't seem to have a lot of the PG characteristics.

I'd also factor in the age of the child. If they are qualifing on the Explore with a grade skip or two, chances are much higher for PG. If the child is older in their grade, the scores are still excellent, but the IQ might not line up.

Ok, my curiosity is aroused again now. wink Dottie, what do you think of a 3rd grade kid's results being on par with the 6th grade cut off for DYS Qualification Criteria in 3 Explore subjects? Grateful for your thoughts!

Originally Posted by MidwestMom
    I'm in the same situation with my DD (4th grade). I've always thought she was MG, but her Explore scores qualify her for DYS. So, I'm now debating whether or not we should seek out IQ testing. I'm not sure her scores would be high enough because she doesn't seem to have a lot of the PG characteristics.

I would imagine that a lot of people with EG/PG kids underestimate their abilities. We thought our kid was MG, maybe HG, but he tested much higher. And for some reason he keeps testing high, even though I don't think he'd stand out in a crowd as one of those amazing kids you think of when you first think of profoundly gifted. And I'm always thinking we have impostor syndrome (surely he can't score this high even after he skipped a grade?) I believe there are many, many PG kids who do not go around looking like prodigies. Like others have said, the parents are probably gifted themselves, but may not ever have known that and so think everyone is like this. I would say, if you're getting these very high scores on Explore, it's certainly worth looking into!

Digging back I reread your comment about IQ testing. It's definitely worth a shot with portfolio, those are pretty solid scores. I'd apply first, and hope to avoid paying for more expensive testing. Worst case they'd ask for expensive testing, but they might not, smile .

Dottie, I truly appreciate your reply. He reached the grade 6 level for LA, Reading and Science. His Math score suffered a bit from missing a good number of questions and not using a calculator plus his overall frustration when math is timed. He does great with math when it's not timed but becomes easily flustered when it is. Even with missed questions, he made the grade 4 cut off for math so I'm guessing that the ones he did answer he must have answered correctly. So I'm trying to be confident about applying without the IQ results. Spent whole day yesterday trying to find enough materials for the portfolio...he isn't exactly a prolific writer either :P. Really crossing fingers here. smile

Thank you! You are such a ray of sunshine and helpfulness when the anxiety clouds threaten!

Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    I believe there are many, many PG kids who do not go around looking like prodigies. Like others have said, the parents are probably gifted themselves, but may not ever have known that and so think everyone is like this. I would say, if you're getting these very high scores on Explore, it's certainly worth looking into!

I think you lifted many spirits when you wrote this, St Pauli Girl. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs