Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #96725 03/11/11 05:51 PM
    M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I have posted more than a few times here; and my DS is turning 6 soon. We are looking to test mainly to see if he has any LD's since I homeschool him. He has expressive language disorder (non-spectrum, I've been told), but imporving greatly. He is also a fairly visual spatial learner; but is doing better on the auditory side now as well. He is also in PT right now for vestibular/vision tracking stuff right now as well. I am looking for help mostly to see how I can teach him best; but if he is DYS level, that would be nice to know as well, for the beneifts.:) I am unsure if he is that high though. We live in the SE but will travel anywhere in the country to get him tested. May I have a recommendation? Who would be the best? CO, AZ, Aimee in Boston, or elsewhere? He is someone who will say "I don't know first," but then if you ask him to take a guess will usually get the right answer. He needs someone with a think-outside-the-box personality for him to do his best.:) Please ask me other questions about his personality for a good fit if needed. Thanks in advance!

Hi Mom0405 - good to see you! Is SE mean 'the South East of the US?'

I hope that Lexington is in your travel ballpark....I think very highly of Dr. Ed

Amend Psychological Services, PSC
    Amend Psychological Services, PSC specializes in the needs of gifted and talented ... Main Office: 1025 Dove Run Road Suite 304. Lexington, KY 40502 ...
    www.amendpsych.com/

Testing is always a bit of a toss of the wheel, and with ELD, that probably doesn't help your odds, but Dr. Ed Amend is able to express genuine respect to both kids and parents. It's jaw dropping. And he knows LOG.
    love and more love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Yes, southeast US.:) I am really willing to go anywhere. I am more concerned with a good personality fit than how close we are currently. We will fly where ever we go....driving for hours and then testing the next day would not be a good idea. So, my real concern is that I don't want to go in and have someone tell me that "he just won't comply," "he is being too silly"... when in our opinion, he will comply easily with two good choices and/or a calm, cheery persona. He is really sensitive if the person is having a bad day or is not a generally happy person. It will definitely effect him. The tester just really has to be able to do think outside the box to get him to focus. We tried once when he was 4; and the tester here in state was frankly useless so we don't want to waste anymore money AND get no info.

Thanks Grinity.

If anyone can give me a different option, I would appreciate it. It is very expensive flying into KY and a 6.5 hour drive otherwise....their roads are awful for some reason as well unfortunately.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM