Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Hey everyone.

I haven't posted in almost a year as life has been very crazy with some personal things going on. I also have spent the last three months applying to a private school for my DS and am waiting to hear (should be in the next day or so). So I am keeping my fingers crossed. Not sure if it is the right thing to do but at least it will be an option. Last year we applied for DYS and only had one qualifying score with a WISC IV test. It was 2 years exactly that the test had been given so it just made the cut off. We didn't have the $ to have another test done so we tried a portfolio but was not accepted with that. I don't have much time to have another test done and I just wanted some advice on which might be the best one. Money is still an issue but at this point we really need the support that DYS could give us. I'm about to throw in the towel after fighting this battle for 6 years. Even if he doesn't make it we at least have to try. I would really appreciate some advice on the pros and cons of all the tests so I can get on it right away. Thanks so much.

Jules

Hi Jules
    How old is your ds?

OP Offline
    He is 10 but is in 5th grade so he'll be 11 in the beginning of June. He did his Wisc IV test when he was in 2nd grade. I'm also scared because over the past 3 years I really feel like he has lost so much due to the schools not allowing him to live up to his potential (imagine that) that taking some kind of an achievement test may put him at a disadvantage.

OP Offline
    Thanks Dottie.

I don't know if at this point with everything going on (sports, extra work at school, applying for the private school, etc.) that at the moment he can handle the SAT or ACT. However, can you tell me the difference between all the tests (SAT, ACT, WJ, WIAT and EXPLORE) i.e. how they test them, what they test them on and what they can tell from the test? I know that each test is different and shows different parts of intelligence but it's so confusing - and I've tried looking it all up but my head is reeling at this point. I've read many of your posts and as everyone knows you are definitely the guru of information on this website (as well as grinity) smile. I know it's a lot to ask but it would really help me and my clock is ticking (well not mine - that one stopped ticking after my 5th child came along smile smile smile ). Thanks so much.

Jules

Originally Posted by Jules726
    I don't know if at this point with everything going on (sports, extra work at school, applying for the private school, etc.) that at the moment he can handle the SAT or ACT. Jules
    Do you know about the HERO's program for PG New Jersey-Area kids?
    http://heroesgifted.org/
    I think this could be a useful resource if the test scores are qualifing...
    As for the SAT, I agree with Dottie that beyond explaining how the questions are structured, there isn't any prep other than getting a good night's sleep, finding a calculator, sharp pencils, healthy breakfast, packing snacks, and having the stamina to
    1) sit and work for 4(?) hours on a Saturday morning
    2) deal with the fact that about a third of the questions are impossibly difficult - this can be hard on the ego of some little gifties.
    OTOH, my DS at 12 described it as 'like being inside a giant video game' and really enjoyed himself.
    (I was willing to drive him to a distant test center so he wouldn't have to deal with seeing kids he knows.)
    If you don't get into the private school, having an SAT score may be a big help in advocating with the local public school. (It's always a nice touch when a school admin looks at your child's scores and thinks 'Oh - that's what I scored as a high school senior.)

But - The website for YSP doesn't list SAT scores for 5th or 6th graders, only for 7th graders, so if your son scores above the 7th grade levels it is fine, but what if he scores close to but not at a 7th grade cut off?

And, 'n of 1' my son always scored more impressively unusual on WJ than on SAT - hope that helps!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    Wow Dottie! What great information. It is exactly what I needed. Sorry it had to take so long to explain it but it really helped me categorize everything. I think at this point the WJ sounds best but I'll have to see if I can afford it. I've heard that some colleges will do the tests at a lesser cost. Has anyone ever heard of this?

And yes Grinity, I have heard of HEROES and now that I have some more time I am going to look into it. I have heard that they are very supportive and have great information. Thank you for the idea. I really miss the forum and am so glad to be back on it. I don't feel like a crazy mom again fighting the fight alone smile. Thanks ladies.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations