Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    We used, and liked, this textbook. http://www.amazon.com/Cosmic-Perspective-5th-Jeffrey-Bennett/dp/0321505670 It would be typically assigned in a college astrology course for non science majors. There online resources available for instructors. http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educ...gAstronomy8482-The-6E/9780321620903.page You can check here to see what you'd have access to.

While I'm sure there are more exciting ways to approach the subject, if you need a straight up course that would meet requirements this is a good text. There is plenty of detail and the chapters are set up in very traditional format with vocabulary, review questions, problems to solve, etc.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    a) The Great Courses Understanding The Universe, an Introduction to Astronomy,2nd Ed. (She's had experience with TGC materials before, and the DVD format actually works very well for her.)

and

I'm thinking that trying to get Dr. Filippenko's Astronomy text to go with the course might be a good thing...

We're using these resources with my 14yo son this year and it's making for a good course.

T
    T
    I taught a high school astronomy class not too long ago, and used
    "Astronomy Today" by Chaisson and McMillan. It's every descriptive and covers everything from the history of astronomy all the way up to astrophysics. And while there is some math in it, it's not super-advanced math. The school where I worked didn't like it - they and some of the students complained that the class was too advanced for a high school elective. I would have put it around a college freshman level, but I refuse to teach a science class that doesn't challenge the students, so I stuck with it. If she's really into the Astrophysics aspect, try "Astronomy and Astrophysics" by Zelick and Gregory. Definitely a college level book, but still very readable.
    Many communities have an amateur astronomy club - maybe you can take her to some of their meetings?

OP Offline
    LOL. I like how you think, treecritter. That was always my classroom strategy, as well. Students have the best overall grasp on material that challenges them and forces them to grow... but it isn't always a pleasant process for them. wink

Thank you for the text suggestion. I'll take a look at that.

_______

Kai, thank you for weighing in here. It's good to know that someone else has used those resources with success, particularly with a gifted HS student.

_______

<slaps forehead> MIT OpenCourses... DOH!

That's a bookmark already on my desktop, in fact. I just didn't really think to look there, since I assumed that most of it would require math that DD hasn't yet taken. Thanks so much for reminding me!

_______

Yes, I know that DD needs to take probably 2-4 years of mathematics BEYOND Calculus if her interest in astrophysics is a serious one. smile She's definitely not afraid of the math, and it comes pretty easy to her; so she's going to get there eventually. But she is still a couple of years away from calculus.

A survey course like this is more about feeding her current interests enough to keep her engaged in activities that the school thinks are important (and that she thinks are repetitive, dull, and useless)... like studying for state-mandated testing... learning about the rock cycle-- again, I mean. LOL.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    OP Offline
    TGC astronomy course is on its way to my house! grin

I realized, as I was looking at other materials there, that "Our Night Sky" (the stargazing/backyard astronomy course) was probably a good one-- for my DD-- as well. It didn't get the glowing reviews... because apparently most people wanted MORE coverage of constellations and less of the history/cultural mythology associated with them.

<lightbulb> This is precisely the sort of thing that lights DD's fire; she has been in love with Egyptian and Greek mythology since she was a toddler. Besides, I realized that buying that astronomy course now and making her wait to use it until January of next year (as much as it was necessary now since it was on sale); well, that's almost cruel. This will give her something to 'chew' on as soon as she is finished with her spring coursework. I won't buy a text until this summer, because good quality used ones are considerably cheaper in June-July.

She's also been investigating how the different types of telescopes work, and she's very interested in the Galileoscope from an optics perspective, if not for the ability to use it for actual astronomical observations.

She's really been struggling with motivation lately, so this was a much-needed boost for her. smile

I'll definitely let others know how both courses fare with her.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM