Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    D
    D
    I think it is likely that a far greater fraction of cab drivers' kids are unidentified gifted kids.

J
    J
    I think it is likely that a far greater fraction of the middle-class and poor have not been identified as children or adults.

I would like to add that a great number of gifted girls and women are never identified and they spend a large part of their life feeling isolated and misunderstood and asking themselves what is wrong with them, when there was nothing wrong to begin with.

sigh

M
    M
    Originally Posted by lovemykids
    Our issue was that the school was not seeing my son as gifted, despite his test scores, and therefore was not willing to differentate for us. In fact, his teacher said to me that there are gifted taxi cab drivers - my guess is because of teachers like her who did not look into why someone's ability tests were so much higher than where they are performing and appropriately challenging them.

While I agree with the posts that there are definitely gifted (both identified and unidentified) in every walk of life, I think that in LMK's post, it was meant differently, although I could be wrong. I read this as LMK saying the teacher used the comment that there are gifted taxi cab drivers to argue that there was no need for differentiation for the child in question.

I would figure that a lot of people have heard such statements from educators/administration, used as their explanation of why the child requires nothing other than what is being currently offered. I recall a meeting where DH and I were expressing our worry about DS not learning how to overcome challenge. The teacher's reply was that "there are some people who just find everything easy all through life and never have to work at it." She was arguing DS needed no challenge in class -- no harm, no foul. Drove me nuts! I wanted to say, "How about we don't assume that DS will be one of those, and just try actually teaching him something? Maybe just for yucks?" Of course, I held my tongue and tried to be a little more polite than that....

jesse #96099 03/04/11 02:03 PM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by jesse
    I think it is likely that a far greater fraction of the middle-class and poor have not been identified as children or adults.

I don't think schools that have gifted programs typically require parents to pay for IQ testing. So what do you think causes underidentification of the non-affluent?

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Bostonian #96101 03/04/11 02:08 PM
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    What has been documented in books such as The Bell Curve is that IQ and socioeconomic status is positively correlated, and that IQ somewhat heritable, which explains the empirical finding that a higher fraction of rich kids than poor kids are gifted.
    But when you take a look at Murry
    http://www.aei.org/docLib/20040302_book443.pdf
    at the begining of chapter 2, he says that he broke his groups down into 5 classes at the 10th,25th,75th,and 90th percentile.
    So as far as I know, there is no data looking at income in Optimally Gifted, Highly Gifted and Profoundly Gifted catagories, no matter what definition one gives them. The majority of kids in the 'over 90th percentile' catagory can be expected to get a decent-fit education without their parents doing much of anything.

So I would suggest from personal experience that HGs and PGs vary all over the map on many personal characteristics, including income.

I heard about something in medicine once called the Starling Curve, and the expression 'falling off the Starling Curve'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiac_function_curve
    and I've often thought that a lot of natural phenomenon must mimic this. One can be under pressure and rise to the occasion to a degree, quite sharply at first in fact, and then with increased stress, the gains get smaller and smaller, perhaps even being lost. My hunch is that the income/IQ curve is quite linear throughout most of the trip, but resembles more of a Starling Curve as one gets up in the HG/PG zone. Afterall, if the income curve was perfectly linear, and at least 2/3rd of HG/PG kids came from HP/PG parents, there wouldn't be much discussion about how to negotiate with schools, and more about how to find the best private tutor, yes?

Or do I have more straw between my teeth?
    Grimity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I'll bet there isn't any one answer to that, Bostonian.

Probably because:
    • underachievement is encouraged in those groups
    • schools without any resources for G/T kids certainly won't go looking for them
    • adults who could identify those children don't know to look (lacking understanding of what G/T traits actually look like)
    • adults who could identify those children believe that GT children look like ________ (which is often more a mark of higher socioeconomic status than anything else)
    • PARENTS can't/don't know how to advocate for those children (for a variety of reasons)
    • cultural factors lead to a parental/familial reluctance for "identification" as gifted (or anything else)
    • cultural pull against G/T push leads kids ot underachieve/mask very young in order to fit in
    • proportion of 2e kids in that group is likely higher (due to environmental factors), and therefore G/T may be well-masked.

Take your pick-- any and all may be reasons why a child isn't identified.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 03/04/11 02:17 PM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Bostonian #96105 03/04/11 02:27 PM
    I don't think schools that have gifted programs typically require parents to pay for IQ testing. So what do you think causes underidentification of the non-affluent?
    In our state, and many others, there is no gifted program, no IQ testing except if an LD or other learning challenge is suspected. At least in those states, parents paying is the only route to identification.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #96106 03/04/11 02:29 PM
    Val Offline
    It depends on how you define "gifted" for the purposes of creating an appropriate learning environment, which I think is the question at this point in the discussion (not the OP's question...).

I define it as the top ~2% (+2 standard deviations) in a given population. Narrowly, this is "in a particular school" and widely it's "in a small number of schools that are near each other." The first definition would probably work in rural areas. The second would be more useful in suburbs or cities.

For me, "gifted" means that the way you learn is sufficiently different from most everyone else that you need a learning environment that's different too.

Again, this is mean to be about creating appropriate learning environments, rather than picking an arbitrary number such as 130. An IQ of 130 may be +2SD in the US population as a whole, but this statistic doesn't necessarily describe four neighboring schools in the Bronx or a college town in northern New Hampshire.

Bostonian #96112 03/04/11 02:37 PM
    A
    A

In our district, they only test kids with a teacher referral. A MG kid from a non-affluent background might not "look" as gifted as a normal-bright kid from an affluent background. Not getting enough food or sleep, having a lot of life stress, having to work to support the family, being responsible for younger siblings, not being exposed to educational resources - all those things are more common in less-affluent households, and can mask giftedness.

Grinity #96119 03/04/11 02:51 PM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    loving challenge is an acquired taste, so if we don't challenge everyone in school, then we lose the chance for folks to find out if they are some of the ones who enjoy challenge.
    Love this! Brushing the dust off the quotes thread. smile

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...