Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 95 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    It's that time of year for deciding if we are going to keep our DD in the private school for next year. We received the 'contract' and as I was going through it I noticed a section about obligations. Basically, the parents are obligated to the school for the entire cost of the school year regardless if you choose to stay with the school for the entire year. Is this normal? I do understand some of the logic but what if you have issues with the school or need to move? For those of you in the private sector, does your schools require you to pay all of the tuition even if you pull your child out?

(FYI: DD will be starting Kindergarten next year and this is our first experience with the private elementary side. I don't remember anything about us being obligated through the preschool years.)

C
    C
    Here in the UK, one full term's notice is what's usually required. A whole year seems excessive to me, but of course US MMV...

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    M
    M
    For DS's preschool (which was PK to 5th), there was a contract like that. You were responsible for the whole year's tuition, which had to be paid in full by the 4th month of school. If you left the school and they were able to fill your spot, then you'd get a pro-rated portion of your money back. If they couldn't fill your spot, you were out of luck. We didn't mind it for PK because there was a long waiting list, so we figured it wasn't much of a risk. We would have been uncomfortable with it for K and later, though, where there wasn't as big a demand.

If I were you, I'd definitely talk with them about what happens if you and the school can't come to a meeting of the minds about something, and see if you can alter the contract. Of course, you might become that "pain-in-the-neck family" by doing that, but it may be worth it to you.

Last edited by Mama22Gs; 03/01/11 05:36 AM.
    My dd's high school tuition contract came with a brochure for 3rd-party optional tuition insurance. If the family were unable to pay for the education in the fall (due to job loss, child's medical condition, etc), they would not be liable for the tuition. I think you can find companies that sell this on the web.

OP Offline
    I kind of figured this was common but I think our school is a little excessive in the all or nothing. They have no provision for if another child fills your spot. And I know that the school is young and still developing so the chance of a waiting list in the elementary side is unlikely but they don't even account for it.

We aren't expecting to move DD but we also know that DD isn't really being challenged anymore. When she started there she had the buffer of having to learn all the curriculum in Spanish but now it isn't much of a buffer which forces us to look at what she is learning. Of course, DD is still the type that doesn't like to show her abilities and doesn't ask for harder work (could be the age) so she waits for the class to start doing things together and then she is at the top of the class. IE. reading, addition, subtraction.

Yep, we have a lot to consider. Thanks for the responses.

O
    O
    Have you been into the school to let them know your situation? Do they have any plans to try and meet her needs. Now is a good time to get a plan going for next year. It's great she has the performance to show so they would be more responsive than with a nonperformer.

A
    A
    You should try to let the school know your situation regarding this. As from what I know you are obliged to pay the full payment because you have signed a contract.

Some schools require you at least one month�s advance notice before withdrawal from the school. You must continue tuition payments for attendance through the date which is one month after the receipt of your withdrawal notice.

Last edited by Julie; 12/17/14 10:48 AM. Reason: request to remove link from that website provider
    We pay on a month by month basis, which works really well for us, but we're also outside of the US. From what I know of the US your contract sounds pretty common but I would definitely talk to the school and make them aware of your concerns. Maybe you could even work out some deal for differentiation for the next year.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent