Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    elh0706 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Thanks Inky for this link.

http://www.bertiekingore.com/high-gt-create.htm

I remember looking at this or something similar several years ago as our family began to try to understand DS's giftedness. Reviewing it today, I realized that I would answer many of the questions differently. As a younger child I would have placed him more as a gifted learner. Today, I think he shows very strong creative tendencies, then gifted tendencies and in pretty much no way is he a high achieving learner.

I am wondering if many of you have seen similar changes over time? I am not doubting that DS12 is gifted. In most cases it is a matter of degree between creative and gifted. I just found the 3 way comparison very interesting smile

J
    J
    Hi,
    I was just looking at that link too and found it very interesting.

Previously I only understood it from the perspective of high achievers/bright versus gifted. The "creative" side was just part of gifted.

My child is very much like me in many aspects. Both my kid and I have lots of ideas but we can't finish them all. lol My kid has moments of giftedness and moments of creativeness if you go along with the chart.

But I really think my kid is a meld of the 2 columns.

It totally explains why my kid (our kids?) when asked a question doesn't just answer -- even when they know the answer. Teachers love the kids that just answer the question. But my kid is standing there ... thinking and thinking and thinking ... and a good 10 seconds later will only say 1 of the many ideas that had popped up.

I'm trying to convince my kid that in those moments pretend to be a bright kid and just give the answer the teacher is expecting! smile haha

U
    U
    I actually see my DD in all 3 categories, which makes the whole concept sort of unuseful to me. She tests as MG, but is extremely creative. She does extremely well in school, but complains of boredom.

ultramarina, I also see my daughter as "yes, all of those things, but not always at the same time" as I go down that chart.

So, yes, not necessarily useful to me, other than to note that what we tend to work on with her is getting her to understand that the shortest path between her current circumstances and her goals is often to masquerade as the "high achiever" and harness the impulses/tendencies of the other two.

It helps her to frame that as a 'challenge' in communication with others; that is, to get her to ask herself-- 'what is this person LOOKING for here?"

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent