Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    Three years ago, we moved from a wonderful district to a horrible district. We have few options here. Anyway, I am stuck (for many reasons), feel the guilt, and am trying to help my daughter receive an education.

The gifted funds were cut severely this year (not for sports though). They are supposed to be differentiating in class. Her science teacher has my daughter "helping" special ed students most of the time. This is not the promised differentiation. We are meeting with her next week, but she seems like she just wants my daughter to "do her job". I am worried about losing my temper with her.

C
    C
    Is a skip or subject acceleration an option for her?

OP Offline
    No, this is for high school credit so it all goes into the same count. She needs a certain amount of credits to graduate. I do not want her graduating early since she is already young for her grade.

She will graduate from community college at the same time as high school, however, she is going to Colorado College, which is a very gifted college. I need her to be ready for it with her knowledge.

Sorry, she is in 8th grade right now and I want her to finish it since she is in Honor Choir and has really fun music trips in the coming months.

Last edited by Ellipses; 02/27/11 08:52 AM.
    Ellipses, if she's already taking HS credit (my DD is now in her third year doing this as an 8th grader, as well-- so I know exactly what you mean about early graduation and age concerns), then will they be willing to allow her to spend the class time doing an independent study instead of undifferentiated material? Or does she truly have to complete the core of this course so as to gain credit for a particular HS graduation requirement? Those are things to find out if you don't already know the answers.

I agree, being teacher's "TA" isn't any kind of solution to undifferentiated materials any more than asking the mainstreamed special ed students to act as "class custodians" would be. It makes me mad that GT students are expected to act as nothing more than servants to their classmates, when it's perfectly obvious how demeaning and wasteful it would be to do the same thing other special needs children. frown

Once in a while is fine (my DD enjoys leading review sessions, etc), but as a steady diet, this isn't teaching the concepts theoretically offered in the subject, as I'm sure you're already well aware.

If you can find out what the teacher's subspecialty/favorite subject is, perhaps s/he might be willing to oversee an enrichment project in leui of continuing the current situation.

Would you daughter be willing/able to complete regular class assignments/assessments AND do an enrichment project on the side? If so, I'd pitch that as a solution.

This kind of thing really burns my britches, too; there's no way to approach it without it seeming as though you/your child objects to being with the special ed students, and that simply isn't the case. It's the fact that it's a SCIENCE class, not a student teaching one, not a peer-mentoring one, not an interpersonal communication one. KWIM?

Good luck keeping your temper.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    OP Offline
    We have parent/teacher conferences today and I am going to go for it. We really have so few options here.

I loved "teaching" as a kid; my daughter does not.

The gifted funds were cut, so they should be working harder at differentiation in class.

The principal already told me that I am a "problem". My health is really bad and I am not supposed to get too upset.

M
    M
    Good luck with your meeting, Ellipses. I hope you're able to get a better fit for your DD.

I wonder if it's possible for you to suggest some differentiation ideas to the school? I've posted elsewhere about the in-class differentiation program they're trying out at my DC's school. They're using Susan Winebrenner's How to Teach Gifted Kids in the Regular Classroom. It's mostly open-ended higher-level-thinking types of exercises, which give the kids some room to explore things at their own level. It hasn't been the perfect educational experience with it, but it's been worlds better than last year without it. Not sure if something like this would be helpful for your DD, or maybe you have an idea of what you think the differentiation should look like that you can share with the school.

I know that the school should be taking the lead on this, but if they're not, and you're able to provide some concrete resources to help them in the right direction, I wonder if it might get you what you're looking for.

Sending good thoughts your way for today's meeting!

OP Offline
    Thanks Master

All went very well. Science teacher says that she is not going to pair her with special ed students and with higher and gifted students.

Her social studies teacher, who I believe to be gifted, told us to put our daughter on online school and get her out of here. It was very strange. I am surprised to hear that from a teacher.

Glad that you got some resolution-- hopefully this will improve things for your DD.

I understand how hearing something like that must have felt a little surreal. I've been there with that.
    Still, when a classroom teacher who has observed your child tells you that the environment cannot be made suitable...

it's probably something to think about. After all, the teacher's most probable motivation there (barring a personality conflict of some kind) is the student's best interests. I'd pay particular attention to that statement coming from another gifted individual.

If you live in a state with a virtual option, have you looked into it closely?

(We have been with a virtual school for close to 5 years, and while it's far from perfect, it's definitely an order of magnitude better than a local B&M placement ever had any hope of being.)

OP Offline
    Our daughter really loves school - especially music. I'd like to work out something in between.

I know a few people that have done just that-- our state in particular it seems to be nearly impossible, but I know folks in MN, TX, CO, OH and PA who have done it, with either Connections Academy, K12, or a regional virtual provider.

That is, their kids go to a local school for some courses/specials, but are students in the virtual school for the remainder of the curriculum.

I understand not wanting to give up music. That was far and away the highlight of my K-12 career, as well. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM