Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #95617 02/26/11 08:17 PM
    C
    CAMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Our district has always used CoGAT for Gifted/Talented identification. However, this year they switched to an all computerized test, which they are saying is still the CoGAT. Has anyone seen a computerized CoGAT? I can't find any info on it. I'm just curious! My son's already identified in their system so it doesn't matter. But a lot of parents were talking about some really high, really out there results.

Last edited by CAMom; 02/26/11 08:25 PM.
    I know that there is a computerized version of CoGAT available now, or coming soon. The local district gifted coordinator was looking into it.

T
    T
    Our school just replaced the 3rd Grade CogAT with the Scantron Performance Series (SPS). This is an adaptive test that increasingly gets harder as the student masters each concept. The test continues until the child misses a set number of answers, so the test can be relatively short (for lower performers) to days (for the higher performing students). The test is computer based and results are immediate. So far, my DD7 has taken the Reading and Math portions of the test and just took the Midyear tests. This exam appears to begin testing at the last successful level. For example, in the Midyear math test, my DD said they had exponents, prime factorization, geometry, and algebra (which is definitely not 3rd Grade material in her school).

Our scores came in on an individual basis along with results from the entire school district. It provided a raw score and a national percentile ranking.

C
    CAMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I don't think it's SPS- nobody was there more than 30 minutes and they tested kids from 1st grade through 5th grade. People are getting IQ-looking scores, not raw scores or percentile rankings. The district requires a 130 on the CoGAT to qualify for programs, or a 130 on individual IQ testing in overall or in any one area. Of the 10 families I know who had kids participating, every one of them scored over 140. I know one of them scored 121 and 125 on the paper CoGAT the last two years so her mom was surprised by the very high score this time and asked me about it.

Last edited by CAMom; 02/27/11 10:04 AM.
    F
    F
    The SPS sounds like it works much like MAP. Our district uses MAP scores to identify the high achievers and then uses CoGAT for the gifted program. In January of second grade these students are then given WISC (IV I think). If they score in the top 1% they qualify for our districts magnet school.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent