Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 414 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    I just looked it up. Here's a link that explains it:

http://www.onionmountaintech.com/files/%20Tech%20and%20Org%20handout%205%20pg%202006.pdf

Apparently, looking up and to the left (from the observer's perspective) when trying to remember something = a visual learner who prefers maps, graphs, etc., not words.

At least that's what it says on the ol' Interweb! So it must be true! wink

Kriston
    Here's a little tidbit: looking up and to the left indicates the person is recalling. Up and to the right signals creating. In most cases. Good to know in a meeting with the school administrator. You might be able to tell if they are outright lying!!!!!!

Incog

I've heard that, 'Neato, but this pdf says that looking up and to the right means you're visual with a preference for words, not lying.

As someone who is visual with a preference for words, I'd hate for people to think I'm lying when I'm not! (Though I haven't checked to see which way I actually look when I'm recalling something...)

I'm not seeing any real evidence for either interpretation, so maybe both are bunk. Dunno. I sure wouldn't take either as the gospel truth!

Kriston
    My pleasure, Dottie. I mean, it's not like I have a book I should be writing or anything...

Oh, wait!

<grimace>

On the bright side, I have more childcare help starting today--YIPPEE!--so hopefully I will be posting less and working more now.

Kriston
    Get some work done, but, we will miss not seeing you post as often!!

P.s. I also tend to look to the right when I'm thinking. Sometimes I catch myself in conversation and look to the left on purpose in case the person thinks I'm "creating"

Hee hee hee

Originally Posted by incogneato
    Get some work done, but, we will miss not seeing you post as often!!

P.s. I also tend to look to the right when I'm thinking. Sometimes I catch myself in conversation and look to the left on purpose in case the person thinks I'm "creating"

Hee hee hee

I do that, too! I just think my creative side is so strong that it takes over, even when I'm not "creating" a story.

L
    Lori H. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I have always thought of myself as a visual learner and I look down. I am definitely not a kinesthetic learner.

When I listen to people talk and I am trying to remember something they are saying or what I am going to say in response, I look down.

My son asks me what I find so interesting about the floor when he notices me looking down. I guess I have my own quirks.

L
    Lori H. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I have heard of Spellbound but I have not seen it. There is no way my son would spend that amount of time working on spelling if he were in school.

At home he sees interesting words all day long through reading higher level books than they would let him read at our public school. He is reading a thesaurus and he lets me quiz him on the spelling of these words. He reads National Graphic magazine and Popular Science. He reads a lot of stuff on Wikipedia and clicks on the links to learn more and he always notices new words. He likes to look up the definitions and etymology. His MMORPG games and Yu-Gi-Oh games contain words that were on his spelling bee list. He likes to use the words in his speech whenever he gets a chance even though he found out this is not socially acceptable. You are supposed to dumb down your conversation even around adults.

His piano teacher today talked to him about how bad she felt when she made dumb mistakes and how she had to learn to get past it and she did. I haven't told his acting teacher yet. I think she will be very surprised that he got stage fright since he has had to do parts before in musical theater where he was the only person on stage speaking in front of an audience. He has even had to sing solo parts and that didn't bother him that much although he prefers to sing in a group. He was even surprised that he "finally experienced stagefright."

Spellbound is a very, very good documentary. Rent it !

L
    Lori H. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I just bought Spellbound and we will try to watch it soon. I sent an email to my son's acting teacher telling her how my son did at the spelling bee and she was very surprised to hear that he got stage fright and that he misspelled a word. She said she remembered when she first met him when he was 4 that he was both spelling and identifying all the words, even really big words, that the high school age kids were spelling out for him.

His OT said in her assessment that he has obvious anxieties and I am hoping that with sensory integration therapy, he will get over this.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM