Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 370 guests, and 38 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    I'm very impressed that all of you would actually get up in front of people as a kid. I was the kind of kid who would have rather DIED than get up in front of people to do anything.
    So the fact that you, and your children, were willing as young people to get up in front of other people and try something like this is wonderful. Kudos to all of you for just trying! smile

My dd's teacher has decided to make the last two book reports oral presentations. She wants the children to be comfortable with public speaking. I just love the way this teacher is so invested in the children's learning. Every teacher should be like her!!

bianca that is great! My kids have performed at school in various things since they were in kindergarten and had to do oral reports since first grade and I really think that is very important too. My first oral report was in 7th grade and I was a shy kid and it was AWFUL. I am so glad that they think about these things these days and get kids up in front of others at a young age before they become so embarassed about it.

I'm glad your teacher is doing such a good job with your DD! smile

She is awsome. A few weeks ago my dd decided that she wanted to learn American Sign Language. Her teacher said she would learn it with her. So they learned the National Anthem together and then showed the rest of the class!! Also, at the beginning of the year my dd and another girl decided to start research projects on their free time (when they finished their work early). Not only did the teacher encourage this, but informal group presentations evolved from this. Children were allowed to pair up with their friends and choose the subject (my dd and her best friend chose birds) and then present to the class what they had learned.

Wow bianca!!!! She sounds fantastic. How old is your DD?? I've forgotten, sorry. You and she are very fortunate to have such a great teacher. Wish they were all that way! smile

Hi EandCmom,

She is 7 going on 30.

LOL!!! I was picturing an older child with all that she is doing. I love my DS7's teacher but she isn't nearly as creative and go with the flow as your DD's teacher. Having a teacher like that can make all the difference in the world.

You are right. Her homeroom teacher is really flexible. Right outside my dd classroom they have some benches on a patch of grass. The children are often outside of the classroom on a sunny day reading, taking a spelling test, or working on a project.

I don't know the source and I don't read Science News, but I think it's a way to distinguish a visual learner, isn't it?

A visual learner looks one way, and everyone else looks the other when trying to recall something.

Of course, I can't remember who looks which way, so I'm not really helping much...

Kriston
    Check out the film, Spellbound. It's a documentary about the National Spelling Bee. It was interesting to see the varied backgrounds of the competitors and how intense the study habits of some were. I can't imagine my kids going to school all day and then working with a spelling tutor for 4+ hours 4-5 times a week. Yikes!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM