Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 150 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #95333 02/22/11 08:33 PM
    K
    kd976 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Anyone know a lot about Singapore Math? My kids are learning it at school now and I've never even heard about it. DS seems to be doing fine, DD (in school) is doing great, but at home she fights us with it.

I'd like to learn the technique better so I know how to help her better. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

kd976 #95385 02/23/11 02:09 PM
    Well, the approach is pedagogically a bit like a VERY accelerated Montessori technique, with the 'show-instruct-do'sequence (that is, demonstrate, then offer direct instruction, then let students try it for themselves), and regards instruction as only being one part of that sequence.

It assumes mastery during progression (pyramidal or foundational) rather than the current approach in most schools, which is 'spiraling' instead, and relies on repetition at regular intervals to get the points across.

Singapore generally doesn't emphasize the memorization of much of anything. It emphasizes understanding the underlying principles and then hones them with meaningful (as opposed to "mindless") application. So instead of timed tests of math facts, a Singapore-based exercise might have students work a set of problems using embedded mathematics in more real-world style problems. The idea is that more memorable/challenging material won't NEED the repetition to make it 'stick' with students. The memorization will come on its own and therefore no real purpose is served by making it part of the instructional goals.

Hopefully that helps. Most of the concepts taught in Singapore's primary mathematics series are pretty conventional; that is, the same concepts are taught in other math programs. The big differences are in the underlying pedagogy. Singapore math is very light on the direct instruction portion of things-- which is great for autodidacts and many gifted students (for whom instruction mostly = "irritating") but for kids that LIKE direct instruction, that might be the missing bit. It could explain why your child enjoys the program at school (where presumably there is a teacher offering instruction) and not at home.

Have you tried working through the textbook yourself? If you're struggling with only one of your children, and the material seems to make perfect sense to you, it is possible that your instructional style is just not a great match with her learning style. If that is the case, perhaps another adult could try helping her for a few weeks and you could see if that improves things.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 02/24/11 09:34 AM. Reason: correct gender pronoun!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    kd976 #95609 02/26/11 06:07 PM
    S
    S
    It's great that your children's school has adopted Singapore Math. If it's taught well, it will serve them well as they advance.

There are home instruction guides you can purchase if they are using the singaporemath.com curriculum. Also, if you visit my site, http://susanmidlarsky.com, I link to a number of resources, including model drawing (the problem solving approach that is so genius in Singapore Math), and a video where a school is teaching parents about the differences. Ideally, your school will offer such a workshop for its parents. If you and other parents show enough interest, maybe that can happen.

My blog also has a number of articles that talk about Singapore Math and what makes it unique. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions. For example, it would help to know how your daughter is fighting you at home about it.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs